Concentration Camp | Teen Ink

Concentration Camp

May 6, 2016
By thefelix12 GOLD, San Jacinto, California
thefelix12 GOLD, San Jacinto, California
15 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Wanting to take me they hurried. At an instant, I began to frantically startle and wonder around like a headless creature. My brother and I were obliged to be considered Jewish citizens due to my father’s claim. The vertical motion of German blades as it grinds through the skulls on whom it may land on. The swift gesture imprints an unforgettable message. Easily ripping away, the only defense these Jewish people had. I can see a bloody trail from where the bodies were carried to, and other soldiers blindly following the trail. There was barely any food to sustain me. My screams travel unheard or unnoticed. Penetrating through my eardrums as the sound travels throughout my body. I’ve seen my brother at a distance as he was caught and taken away to do terrible deeds. No weeping nor howling can be produced where it can't be made. The German soldiers saw interest in this and thought of it as acceptable, but the sight of bloody pools tells another story. Jewish blood scraped across horizontally across the bloodcurdling gates. As an old fellow, I couldn’t adjust to such horrible imagery and the place of activity where Jews are forced to become affiliated with Germans. Leaving thousands of Jews to rot in these camps and witness death as it strikes with its overwhelming power.


All who identified as Jewish were rounded up by the German soldiers and taken to a place where light has never existed. I witnessed a new world of pain and suffering. Time was only a dream, slowly diminishing as time went on. I saw a familiar figure standing by the corner of my eye. My brother looked at me faintly and bewildered. His bloodshot eyes, pale skin and malnourished body resembled everybody.    


“I’ve seen and will never see again.” I told myself.
“Why are you here brother of mine.” he wept.
“I, um… been at the edge of my feet trying to remain out of German influence.” I hesitated.
“I know, but why go through all the trouble?” he replied.

 


If this were to be my reality its outlook will become a dreaded nightmare. We remained there with nothing in our minds but the uncanny expression of horror rushing through our veins. Ironically, the capable men died earlier than their weaker counterparts which I thought was quite strange in and of itself. I’ve seen a man trying to subdue the impacts of isolation by climbing a one-hundred-foot gate. Unfortunately, he fell and demolished his legs like breaking two twigs. “Please, help me” sobbed the man. All I could do is watch as his distress cannot be helped. Strangers offered what can be provided in that moment which was currently nothing. Slowly, he is consumed by the wrath of German soldiers.

 

In the same way, a commander confronted me and declared that I must march down the runway for execution.


“Get up Jewish people!” exclaimed commander.


“Where are we going?” I responded.


“I just wanted to…” murmured brother.


“Your being taken to the slaughter house in camp!” proclaimed commander.


The German soldier walked away, shouting, “Get moving!”


Just like that the world keeps moving under my sufferings. It was sunset at the time of this event. Suddenly, we were gradually coming to a stop. My heart was pounding tremendously as if it were the blast of a rifle. One by one the revolver roared causing instantaneous death to those who succumb.


“You, step forward at once!” instructed commander.


“Please, where is your sympathy sir.” I whimpered.


“You with the cherry red eyes step forward at once!” instructed commander.


“Yes, mister.” replied brother.


“Understand what is present, you will not speak until told!” yelled commander.


Bang! The gun popped, trapped in all corners as I couldn’t move, I was startled. Rain soaked my dreaded body. Hundreds died behind the thought that I’ll never see them again. Those who were behind our first step died. Almost, fifty Jewish people were murdered. Me and my brother were sent back to our position in the camp.


It’s given me an opportunity in viewing barriers as a standing oppression to all. Temperatures reaching twelve degrees below zero, as I tried to harness the little energy my frail muscles can sustain. Core temperature dwindles as I remain stationed in this position. Someone moved swiftly through my field of vision, moving closer and closer as I speak.


“Father, what are you doing here you’re going to get us killed?” I wept.


“Where’s mother?” I wondered.


“She’s at the other camp boy” answered father.


“Whatever lies before you will not create a breach you can’t handle.” my father added as he spoke his final words.


“Yes, father I hear you.” I nodded.


That same evening memorable phrases came from this camp. It was silent, yet I saw his ghostly appearance reflect on my behalf. I was being engraved by my emotions as I too headed on that faithful route. Truly, will I discover the reasoning for my father’s demise.   
       
The final moments I will cherish with all my strength for it gave me an opportunity to write. I comprehend these truthful actions as one of my own. Germany brings forth the cry of the devil in conjunction with the blood of many Jews. Given that the situation was difficult at the time my only intentions now were to ease the pain coming out of me. Enduring such conditions made me take notice of injustice and its manipulations. Innocence, I thought was engraved in my entire existence. I was an afterthought, a joke to these unlawful people, and through these trials I must be given due consideration. I recognized myself as a speck of dust flowing as the wind pushes me anywhere it desires. The gentle blanket of darkness placed upon my head as I permanently fell asleep. I came to the realization of farewell rather than living countless days.
 


The author's comments:

The life of Fred Bachner caught my attension to write a similar story surrounding his experience