Sweat and Literally Blood | Teen Ink

Sweat and Literally Blood

The day was cold and dreary, the perfect day for bike riding. The problem was, I was not able to ride a bike. It was late April, the snow from the bitter cold winter was constantly melting and seeping into the ground. Soon summer would be here, and I needed to know how to ride a bike without those annoying training wheels. All my friends knew how to ride their bike already. I didn’t want to look like the fool. I walked to the garage and gazed upon my new bright red bike I had gotten on Christmas that past year. I sprinted inside and found my father who was sitting on the couch lazily.

“Can you teach me how to ride a bike?” I begged.

“Now?” he said unwillingly.

“Please,” I pleaded.

“Fine,” he said.

We both walked to the garage and pulled out the shining red bike. My dad filled the tires with fresh air to achieve even tire pressure. We both rolled the bike down to the edge of the driveway and faced the bike down the long stretch of unforgiving concrete. Clouds began to gather in the distance and small drops of rain began to fall onto our faces. My father held the bike steady while I climbed on; this was my first time on a bike without training wheels. Adrenaline rushed through my veins, and my heart began to pound. I became very nervous, and I started to sweat uncontrollably. Thankfully the rain camouflaged the sweat from my father who was ready to let go on my cue. It began to rain harder, but I knew I could not give into failure now.

I began to pedal slowly, my dad was right beside me acting as my training wheels. I rode down to our neighbors driveway and turned around. I continued this process for at least an hour and a half. The sun shone through the cloud and the rain began to clear from the sky, this was the sign. I was ready.

I went inside for a quick bite to eat, then went back outside. The sun was setting in the distance and dawn fell upon the area. My father was holding my bike steady, while I climbed on once again, I felt a wave of relief when I sat on my bike. 

“Don’t let go until I say so,” I said to him.

“I won’t,” he exclaimed.

I began to pedal faster and faster, we then passed the neighbors driveway and continued down the narrow path of concrete. I picked up speed and began to accelerate faster and faster until even my dad couldn’t keep up.

“Let go.” I yelled.

He let go and I continued to pedal down the sidewalk. A wave of adrenaline rushed through me as I realized I was riding my bike all by myself. I ended up crashing and bruising my knees and legs, after a few days of training, I improved greatly and was no longer the laughing stock of my friends. I was now able to ride a bike without training wheels like everyone else. It took a lot of sweat and it literally took blood, but it was all worth it in the end.