I Think He’s Blind | Teen Ink

I Think He’s Blind

By Isaiah22202 BRONZE, Palm Desert, California
Isaiah22202 BRONZE, Palm Desert, California

I was shivering, not with cold, but excitement. It felt like hours, my mind was everywhere, I could barely think. I had to decide, but the decision would stay with me for over 10 years. My mouth tasted dry and vile. The room smelled of Windex and dust. I was in sixth grade at the animal shelter, the day before the last day of school, roomful of dogs and cats. The white walls were blinding. I could see animals through the window, staring into my soul and burning my heart. I had to choose between hundreds of dogs, but only a few caught my eye.

“This dog is so cute and small, get him!”My sister bursted.

“ I guess…” I didn't really like this dog, but I was jumping the gun! We brought the little guy to the playroom. The playroom smelled like pee and cleaner. There was a straw sofa and a few toys in the middle of the beige room. I sat there waiting for him to move, but the rascal didn't even twitch. He was a statue!

“He’s so boring! Can he do something already!” I was ready to leave this place.

“Alright,” My mom mumbled.

This wasn't the right dog. I was ready to leave this place, I was losing hope. We decided that dog wasn't the right one, so we took a look at another. We went back to the room of barks and cries, every dog looked at me with sad eyes and quiet cries that dug deep into my head, "I will never find one, let's go home!"

" Don't worry, there are hundreds of dogs, you will find one!" My mom threw her hand out as if greeting me though a door, showing me the dogs in little glass boxes.

"Alright I'll keep looking!" I agreed

"See that's the spirit!" My mom answered. Then, at the corner of my eye, an ugly dog, but cute to me. He was already a medium sized dog, so he took up two glass boxes. A poodle mutt with curly long matted hair. I thought it was destiny calling, he was perfect.

"Him, we are getting him!" I screeched. The lady took him to the room as I was excitedly hopping around. I was back in the beige room of toys. He smelt like wet dog, because he was new and they had to give him a bath. She sat him down and instantly, he ran straight to my arms! He was wild and exciting. He was perfect!

"I think he's blind!" My sister laughed.

"He actually can't see very well, look at his eyes!" My mom was right. He had gray eyes and wasn't the best at catching toys.

"It doesn't matter," I was just super happy. We decided to take him to the front.

My dog today can still do things other dogs can do. When we brought him home, he instantly got used to it. He still can't catch his toys though. We have grown through life together and I still love him like I just got him. This is an important choice in my life because a dog is a man's best friend and my dog Nidas is the best dog ever. Plus, ten years is a very long time. I learned that sometimes the most unusual things are my favorite. I also learned I really love dogs! Other people can learn to enjoy the smallest things in life. Also, it doesn't matter if they're the same as the other and normal, it just matters that you care!