My Happy Place | Teen Ink

My Happy Place

When I was little, my hair was a shade of dark chocolate brown that gradually turned into auburn as the days went by and I got older. You could see the curls on my tiny head, flop up and down, up and down, as I ran around their backyard like a dog that just got off his leash. I ran and ran and ran until my small but big heart inside told me to stop. By the time I decided to stop, my cheeks would be a bright shade of rosy red because I was having too much fun. My entire face was grinning, smiling, and beaming from ear to ear. I was always happy and giggling, like it was a disease spreading around to whoever I talked to, back when I didn’t have a care in the world. Why would I be worried? I was only just a kid. I was always bouncing off the walls (like most kids do).

It was one of those days where you just want to go to your happy place, sit around, and do nothing. My grandparents house was my favorite place to be.

My grandparents live in Rochester Hills, Michigan. They built their “dream” house with the help of their friends/co-workers. It is is now sitting on what used to be just acres of woods for miles and miles that you couldn't see the end of. I love going there because I always feel genuinely happy, relaxed, and filled with warmth/love inside (as cheesy as that sounds).

Going there every Sunday made me even happier (if that was possible). I had new memories to keepsake with them every week! Spending so much time with them made me realize now how important they are to me and how much I truly appreciate them. But I never really thought about how one day it could all disappear, without even getting a chance to cherish them.

Every season at grandma and grandpa's house was great. The fresh aroma of baked treats and what was cooking for dinner always welcomed you at the door. From spontaneous ice cream trips in the summertime, to curling up with a cozy blanket on the floor next to the fire my kind grandpa made for me and my siblings. My dog would beat us to the fire before we could even get there! My grandma would always surprise us and bring out a fresh, steaming hot cup of hot cocoa that just made my experience there ten times better. In the fall, we would always go to the apple orchard and go through the dozens of rows of apple trees and pick out apples. We couldn't forget to get donuts and some sweet cider that was just made before we left the orchard. Even in the spring we would sit on the porch and listen to the birds chirp away and watch the sunset until it disappeared in the horizon. We would go play tetherball in the backyard that has been there since my dad and aunt were little kids.  There was nothing I didn't like about their house. There was always something to do and I never got bored.

From 1999 to now, it was always a happy day (on a Sunday) as time flew by and everyone grew older. It was the only day out of the week that I got to see my grandparents. It would sound a lot like:  “Mommmmmm! Daddddddddd! Can we gooooo?!” I exclaimed while tugging on their shirts.

“Yes, just a minute dear.” My mother would quickly reply.

“But I’m ready!! Pretty pweaseeee! I even got doggy and my blanket.”

“Kristen, your mother is busy,” using his fatherly tone.

“Just let her be for a few minutes you goofball!” as the little kid would come out in him; he would scoop me up and run over to the couch, releasing me out of his arms feeling my heart sink before I hit the couch and bounced a time or two.

-I couldn’t stop giggling-

I don’t know why anyone would ever want this to end. I could do this all day long. When I managed to catch my breath, I would keep complaining and say:

“I just wanna see gramma and grampa.” I sighed, giving my dad the cutest puppy dog face that I could possibly muster, while batting my eyelashes and hoping he would change his mind. The thought never occurred to me that one day, I wouldn’t see one of them anymore.

Their house is very important to me because it reminds me of all the wonderful times I’ve had from when I was just a little kid, to until now, I treasure every single one of them. Even though my grandpa passed away in August this year, which was very rough for all of us, we still go out of our way to make sure to visit my grandma often. It is important to me as an individual because looking back on all of my times spent at their house with them, it taught me how important family is. To keep them in your life and to enjoy the moments with them because before you know it, it can be gone in the blink of an eye.