Lost Tries | Teen Ink

Lost Tries

I was woken by a hug when I was four, and that is when it hit me, one of the biggest sacrifices- my dad had to leave. My grandma was really ill. My birthdays were spent alone with my sister. My mom came home to find us sleeping not celebrating. Laughter is down the hall is just a memory. I got hit hard; like a ton of bricks fell on me, and I wouldn’t say anything.

Two years later we moved and most of the sadness went away. It stayed this way, but this time I had a better friend and then months later he moved away. My mom had a new boyfriend and every day I never felt safe. I experienced child abuse. He would kick me, and make me eat dirt. Three years later, my mom found him slapping me and she made him leave!

Bullying became more aggressive and I couldn't find my voice, so I grabbed a blade, but I stopped and instead used my voice and spoke up about what was happening. My friend came back not knowing who I was anymore. I cried every night and I turned into a mean person so no one would hurt me anymore. I started looking for somewhere to share my story.

Four years later my dad came back.  I didn't remember him and I'm sharing this because I want to be happy not sad. My childhood wasn't happy and I had to grow up really fast but it’s a part of life. Which brings us up to now. I became more social, and I started talking to more people. Most importantly I talked my Mom. I’m getting help now. I am healing. Better times are here.