First Ride....and the Last? | Teen Ink

First Ride....and the Last?

By MGR20 BRONZE, Monticello, Illinois
MGR20 BRONZE, Monticello, Illinois

“C’mon the lazy river is the best!” My mom smiles at me and pulls my arm to the pile of inter-tubes laying by the wave pool.

“Mommm, I don’t want to.” I whine and pull her arm the other way.

“You can ride a different ride after this one.” My mom says sternly and picks up two tubes.

Squish squish. My water shoes hit the hot ground, and I sigh. A trip to Knight’s Action Park is supposed to be fun.
Setting our tubes down in the water, my mom helps me into mine then sinks down into hers. I reach my hand along the bumpy side, using the momentum to push off. My mom and I were floating in perfect rhythm down the relaxing river. Pushing back into my raft, I felt at ease, maybe this was going to be a good day, after all. I close my eyes and breathe in the scent of sunscreen and laughter.

“MARY GRACE!” my eyes snap open and I search the bright water filled with people. My mom was floating down the lazy river, 10 rafts in front of me.

“Mom. Wait up.” I try to push my raft to go faster, but it won’t budge. By the time I looked up again, my mom was gone. My heart leaped into my chest, beating so loud, I was vibrating. The butterflies in my stomach fluttered around frantically.

I have to find her.
I have to find her.
I’m sorry Mom.

Hopefully she will get out at the next exit. I calm myself down slightly, but the butterflies are still there. I sit with my hands in my lap as people, talking and laughing, pass me. The sun beats down on my back and the water stares back at me, laughing. How could I be so stupid to lose my mom? Finally, I arrive at the next staircase. I slide off of my raft, and pull the tube behind me. I climb the bumpy stairs as my eyes scan every person around me. No sign of her. I try to remember where we put our stuff. I was too busy whining to pay attention. She’s not here. She’s not here. I fight back every urge to cry as I keep looking around. I slowly walk around the edge of the lazy river, trying to think about how I am possibly going to find her.

Shaking, I frantically search everywhere I can look, trying to remember what color swimsuit she had on. Everywhere, kids are sopping wet, talking and laughing with their families. I probably look like a long lost puppy, I try to act more confident as I keep searching. I slowly walk back to the exit on the lazy river where I got off-
“Mary Grace.” I hear my mom’s voice behind me. I turn around quickly and fall into her arms.

“Mom, you left me.” I say to her, trying not to lose my breath in relief.

“No,” She shakes her head, “You got off the lazy river and I stayed on, your brother and I floated all the way around again, trying to find you. You should have stayed on the river.” I bit my tongue to hold off a sassy “how was I supposed to know?”, but I knew that that would just make things worse.

“Now, can we enjoy our day?” I ask her.

“Sure, let’s go to the lazy river again.” She tells me.

“Not funny.” I tell her as she laughs at her own joke.

“Fine, but just know that I love you and I would never want anything bad to happen to you, ever.” She brings me into a hug.

“Okay Mom that’s enough.” I shake her off of me, and drag her to the nearest water-slide.

It's a very scary feeling to lose someone you love, even for a short second.

Supastar22 said...
on Nov. 2 2015 at 11:11 am
Supastar22,
I had cut myself on a lazy river.