Moving On My Own | Teen Ink

Moving On My Own

By woojookim BRONZE, Seoul, Other
woojookim BRONZE, Seoul, Other

Middle school graduation: amongst a sea of black bobs a single red head. Like a radar blip, this red dot runs through a throng of young boys, the heat of the soccer game coursing through her veins. She is conspicuous; she is loud. That red head, that firecracker of energy, is none other than me.

For as long as I can remember, I was always on my own. My likes and hobbies differed from my peers, and I enjoyed feeling free about my decisions. My endless confidence and "If I believe I can, then I will" mentality played a central role in my idiosyncratic behavior, accountable for many of my more "unique" decisions growing up. In hindsight, I thank my parents for instilling this in me, as their constant support led directly to my independence, this desire to be different. Indeed, without this character trait of mine, I would not have made it studying abroad, away from the comfort and protection of home.

During this stage of my life, seemingly endless difficulties assailed me, threatening to alter the one quality I cherished the most: my attitude. Upon my arrival to New Zealand, my never-wavering confidence and bulldozer-like persistence seemed to falter. A foreign land, with foreign people and foreign customs, offered no family or friends to accept my boldness. For a long time, I fought with this new world, which  refused to accept me?until, that is, I read Dale Carnegie's How to Stop Worrying and Start Living. In this book, I came across a quote from Socrates, which read: "Let him who would move the world first move himself." For the first time since arriving to New Zealand, the firecracker in me paused, and reflection took over.

Had I remained the same person, I may have glazed over this quote like any other ink spot in a book. However, when I reflected on Socrates' words, I realized that I was not. Instead, the idea struck me as the simplest, most foolproof plan for long-term success. Fighting one's self is the most difficult endeavor on can ever attempt, for winning yields more than just victory. Winning has the power to move the world. To this day, I am still motivated by Socrates' wisdom: especially when I need the encouragement to continue treading down a bumpy road, with no discernible end in sight.

All of the adversities that I've had to face in this overly fierce jungle of a world have made me stronger who is ready to face whatever is thrown her way, to move herself in whatever direction she must. Ultimately, to change the world as Carnegie and Socrates did in thier time, I must maintain persistence, and I must continue being introspective towards both who I am and who I want to be. That may sound like big dreams coming from a high school student. But through all I've endured, I'm more than ready to embrace whatever challenges come my way.