My First Road Trip | Teen Ink

My First Road Trip

By PSchutt BRONZE, Marysville, Washington
PSchutt BRONZE, Marysville, Washington

I went on a nine-day road trip to Northern California with my mom, her friend Jennifer, and her 15 year-old daughter Trinity.  We left the beginning of August 2014, excited for nine days of fun activities, hotels and KOA campgrounds.  However, I was not very excited about having to ride in a car for long periods of time.  None of us knew what to expect.  Would we all get along?  Would we drive each other crazy by being close together for nine days?  Time would tell.
We headed down the coast along Highway 101.  I saw a lot of beautiful scenery.  I loved watching the water splash against the rocks and spray all over.  We didn’t ever drive too much in one day.  We also got to do something fun every day.  One of my favorite things was a waterslide park in Oregon, I believe, where the four water slides came out of a Boeing 747 that was on the roof of the waterpark building.  It was awesome!  It also had a wave pool that I loved playing in with my mom as we got to use inner tubes to float on.  Another of my favorite things we did was ride dune buggies in the sand dunes in Oregon.  I loved going fast and having the sand fly all over me, except when it got in my eyes.  It was really sunny and hot, but at the same time the air was cold out on the dunes.  On the way back we drove up Interstate 5 to see and do other things.
We stayed in mostly KOA campground cabins but we also got to stay at a few hotels.  The cabins were the best!  One night we had a campfire and got to make s’mores.  I like to hear the crackle of the fire and watch some of my marshmallows I’m roasting get burnt to a crisp, accidentally.  The hotels were great because they had swimming pools.  We all swam and I got to win all of the splashing wars.  Although I don’t like the smell of chlorine in pools, I always feel clean when I get out.
I really enjoyed the road trip overall.  I got to experience things that I never had experienced and I got to see places I had never seen.  It was my first time ever in Oregon.  I really liked Oregon except for all the construction projects that they had going on when we were there.  Another thing that I noticed in Oregon is that my mom couldn’t pump her own gas.  I thought that was weird.  Although I loved this road and the special times I shared with my mom and the others, I’m not really very excited about doing another one.  It was too much time spent riding in a car and too much trouble packing and unpacking everything every day.  However, on a positive note to end my memoir, we all got along really well for nine days.