I Don't Want to Be a Size Two | Teen Ink

I Don't Want to Be a Size Two

All my life I've been picked on about my weight. "You're never going to be able to lose weight." "So if you don't drink soda, why do you look like that?" "Oh you know you want to eat that." "Fat ass."

I've heard it all.. and let me tell you.. it hurts. I'm not obese, I'm just a little bigger than the average girl. While all the girls were playing dress up, I chose to sit on the sidelines because I knew that there wouldn't be any clothes that would fit me. During the summer when we all went swimming, I wore a one piece while all my friends wore their cute bikinis and took pictures to post on facebook.

Up until highschool I was never comfortable with myself. I never had self confidence. That was something I lacked, but yet something I wanted so badly. Slowly, I broke out of my shell. I wore clothes that made me feel pretty and confident.

All I ever wanted to be was the pretty skinny girl who got all the boys because she had a 'hot body'. I wanted to wear all the cute clothes that the thin girls wore. Eventually I learned that weight does not define you. Being a little chubbier doesn't mean that I'm not as good as the skinniest girl in the room. I now know that it's important to love yourself for who you are and accept the things you cannot change and change the things that you do not accept. I will always better myself and maintain my health, but if I'm never a size two.. that's okay.