High School | Teen Ink

High School

Entering high school for your first time can be different for everyone. For some, it’s the next step. It’s the sign that you're “grown up”. That you're ready to take on responsibility and work towards being a more independent individual. For others, it can become a virtual nightmare. Everything you learn is confusing and slightly scary. The people you meet seem fake, bland and robotic. That is what high school can become for some people, but for me, high school became so much more than I ever thought it would be.
At first it seemed like everything I was already used too. Lots of people, long winding halls, and class after class of boring teachers and mounds of homework. It made me think that this is all that high school would be; Monotonous, Tiring  and Pointless in some aspects. 
  It was the first drama club meeting of the year. I was afraid of not fitting in, of not being good enough.” This isn’t gonna go well. I’m not an actor, I’m not qualified to do this, I thought to myself. What if they don’t like me, what if I become an outsider, what if…”. I was afraid. Afraid of what people would think of me. Afraid of that I’d do.
Then I found a world where people were just as weird as me. They sang out loud in huge crowds, danced alone in quiet halls, and questioned everything; even themselves. I felt at home, with people who really did want to get to know me. We became a family.
We did everything together. Ate food, played music, even talked and hung out together. We were people from all different places and begins and yet come together under one roof to be a group. They became the best friends I've ever had, even with our constant fights and unspoken drama. 
Three months later, all we can think about is the show. Like a big premiere, hundreds of people flock to see it. The tensions rise as we deal with difficulty after difficulty. Everyone is up tight and some of us can't handle it anymore. We have worked so hard for this show, and nothing can express how much we want this show to go well. We were like-minded people working towards one beautiful goal.
The stage was full of people, running back and forth between scrims and doorways. Screaming and yelling filled the air as Mrs. Seaman barks orders and actors tried to get ready as fast as possible. As this chaos ensues someone yells, “Places!” Everyone fell silent, and in that instant everyone changed directions. People scream “Thank you places”, and the rest of us make our way on stage. It is dark and silent. We get right into place and stand there waiting for the huge curtains open
On the night of that last show, Tice looked at us and said,” I’m so proud of all of you. You guys did an amazing job and put on a spectacular show” ,and that meant the world to us.
As it all came to an end, when the curtains opened and the fly was brought up, all we had was fond memories and sad hearts. We weren’t ready to go, to leave the routine that had become our lives. We wanted it to endure, to continue.
You know it was worth something when you make better friends in three months then you've made in fifteen years. When you shed tears for the first time in three years over a poem and a moment of silence. When all you want to do is hold a friend in your arms and say, “This isn’t the end”, even though it is.
From all of this I learned that there are beautiful people in this world. People who love to make art, cause shenanigans, and overall have a good time. Those are the people I want to surround myself with. People who love unconditionally, who live passionately. They are my inspiration. They are my heroes.
Because it wasn’t about the points, the recognition, the fame. It was about us. As a whole becoming closer and doing the things we love. It was about us discovering new places, and traveling down old roads. It was about living the best time of your life in three months and never wanting it to end.

This piece recaps my 10th grade year of High School in Drama club, and the importance it had to me.