How to Save a Life | Teen Ink

How to Save a Life MAG

By ironsidegirl GOLD, SEATTLE, Washington
ironsidegirl GOLD, SEATTLE, Washington

\\\And then, something happened. I let go. Lost in oblivion. Dark and silent and complete. I found freedom. Losing all hope was freedom.\\\ Chuck Palahniuk

Step one: Acknowledge that you’re losing him. When he comes to school with burns up and down his arms, know that it isn’t “no big deal,” as he claims. When he casually jokes about destructive behavior, notice the haunting look in his eyes that suggests there is nothing casual about it.

Step two: Be there for him. Argue with him when he says that no one would even notice he was gone. Ask to go to the bathroom during class so you can hold him in the hallway. Leave your phone at full volume all night in case he needs consoling. Cry with him in his car. Cry with him at the park.

Step three: Constant prevention. Text him under the table so he doesn’t hang himself in the bathroom. Don’t give him pain pills, no matter how big a headache he says he has. Take away his neckties. Kiss his wounds. Tell him how much you love him. Tell him you don’t know what you would do without him.

Step four: Lose yourself in your pursuit. Put his life before everything. Fall apart when he tries again and again. Cry in the school parking lot when you realize that nothing you do will ever help. Your efforts are not enough.

Step five: Admit you have nothing left. Back off. Watch through the window as other students approach the principal. Call his mom. Retreat into yourself. Knit him a scarf as he spends Christmas in the hospital.

Step six: Let him try one last time.

Step seven: Enjoy the sun. When he smiles again, feel its warmth against your skin. Carve out a permanent place in your heart. Learn that happiness feels like loving yourself. Hold him and his new boyfriend. Tear up when you tell him how happy you are that he is alive. Forgive him. Embark on your own dreams, knowing that he is now safe.

sharpened_pencil GOLD, Warren, New Jersey

"Life can suck, sure. Mostly though it's a blank canvas. If you want to see something brighter in it, you might have to add it yourself." -Patrick Stump, Fall Out Boy

Thank you for that. I've been told that and I didn't strain too hard, it's been tough, but I'm happy to say that she is doing much better now. :)

ironsidegirl GOLD, SEATTLE, Washington

Just remember that all your efforts in the world may not save her. It is not your job to save her. And while my story ended well, it could just as easily have ended poorly. I love my friend to death but this article is mainly about how dysfunctional it is to feel responsible for another person's life, especially when you're feeling broken and lost yourself. Stay strong. I truly wish the best for both of you.

My best friend is bisexual and currently also suicidal. It hurts to see her suffer, I have been trying to be there for her. Your article has given me hope that my efforts may truly save her life one day, and she can feel better again. Thank you.

ironsidegirl GOLD, SEATTLE, Washington

Thank you @OceanFey

oceanfey said...
Beautifully written; love your writing.

ironsidegirl GOLD, SEATTLE, Washington

Thank you, that means a lot

Shay<3 said...
This is amazing!

liv_luv_4eva SILVER, Morganville, New Jersey

Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

Beautiful story!