out with the old and in with the new | Teen Ink

out with the old and in with the new

April 12th, 2014 was the day I was finally happy once again, happy to stay home alone but I never felt alone. The summer before my dog, of fourteen years, Boomer had to be put down, it was finally his time and he knew it was too. He was the only god I knew and the only one I grew up with so I couldn’t see it ending and him being gone forever, I cried at the thought of it but it was really happening.
We all knew it was going to be awhile until my parents would warm up to the thought of getting another dog but that didn’t stop me from sending them links to the humane society and kid of giving them that push because they felt terrible for putting him down but they knew what was best and he wasn’t going to struggle anymore. There were plenty of opportunities to get new puppies or adopt a new dog but they weren’t going to budge on any of them, I thought we weren’t going to get a new one because my parents were getting comfortable with not having to put gates up when we leave and where our dog would have to go when we go on vacation or something but I hated when I was home alone how quiet the house was but of course they didn’t mind.
The spring break of 2014 I went to Disney World for most of the week so I didn’t know what was going on home and while I was there I didn’t really care it got my mind of things and I was happy, I wasn’t in a quiet house. On our way home on the last I had time at rest stops and when I was awake you look at different places that had litters of puppies and people who were selling their puppies of course I would send them to my parents but I found a corgi puppy for sale that I sent to my dad and he finally replied with “we’ll have to talk to your mom” so I was really excited and had a little bit of hope. Later on into our drive around maybe 2 p.m I get two pictures from my brother Allen and they’re of this litter of puppies through a glass window and they’re so tiny he told me they were husky pitbull mix and I was in love. I asked why they were there and he told me that someone dropped the mom off who was pure bred husky, and she just had the litter. Allen said that the puppies will be up for adoption on April 12th but it was first come first serve, so we had to be there EARLY. It was pretty much a given that we were for sure going to try and get one because my mom fell in love with them as soon as she saw them.
I had to wait almost a week before we could get our puppy so it felt like the week would never end. i couldn’t sleep, but that Saturday morning finally came and my dad was there at 8 a.m sharp. There were already 3 families lined up, one woman pretty much spent the whole the whole night so we thought we weren’t going to get one, even though there were 6 puppies. Cascades didn’t open until noon so we still had awhile but my mom and i left at 9 p.m, so we could get something to eat and bring something for my dad. We sat out butts in the freezing cold for almost 3 hours, my Netflix came in handy, but around 11:30 a woman who worked there came out and told us that there were only 5 puppies left since another worker was able to get one first. it was fair because workers do get first pick if they want a puppy, so we were scared we were too far back in the line to get one but they handed out number cards 1-5 to each family and we got number 4 so now we were guaranteed a puppy, and we could finally go sit in our cars and get warm.
When it was time to open they were only letting in two families at a time, so we had to wait even longer and possibly not get the puppy we initially wanted, but we were getting a puppy so it didn’t matter which one we got. we finally got to go inside with the other family behind us but we got first pick and my mom heard them say they wanted a girl and there was a boy and a fluffy girl left so it worked out perfect because my mom didn’t want a girl. They took us into a little side room where you can bring a dog in and meet them and they brought Dexter in and he just waddled into a corner and laid down, he was out of since he had surgery the day before. We had to pick him up and carry him out which wasn’t hard because he was so tiny. We spent maybe 45 minutes up at the counter filling out papers for him and paying but we finally left and everyone was just gawking at him in my arms they were all saying he was so cute and i was just ecstatic my face hurt from smiling. We went to PetSmart to get him a bed and toys. i had to carry him around the store because if you put him down he would just slide down to the floor and lay there, but i didn’t mind carrying him, I was so excited i didn’t want to put him down.
It has now been 8 months and he one of the best dogs i could ever ask for. i wish he could’ve stayed as small as he was when we got him but that's okay, he is a very smart dog. We don’t even have to put him on a leash when we go outside because he stays in the yard and he doesn’t run off. He walks very well on a leash and doesn’t pull, he is rarely getting into trouble, and he almost always listens.