Warm Hands, Warm Heart | Teen Ink

Warm Hands, Warm Heart

Of all of the moments I've had hanging with my step mom, this one sticks out to me.  I learned something that day.  I learned that she truly loved me and would do almost anything for me.  In this moment I realized how great of a person she really is, and, we started building a stronger and closer relationship that will last for years, no matter what.
It was a few days after Christmas filled with new people and hilarious happenings.  I met my step mom’s comical and kind family, which was now technically mine.  A few days after that we started the long drive from Illinois all the way back to Michigan.  It was about an 8 hour drive home.  Half way home the storm started to set in just like the weather had promised.
Driving down the highway in a full on blizzard was scary, semi trucks and cars were scattered along the side of the road and in ditches.  We had to pull off the highway in that very moment. We had a long journey ahead of us but we weren't about to risk our lives, just to get my sister and I to my mom’s house in time for school the next day, which was impossible anyways.
We decided to pull off the highway and spend the night in a safe and warm hotel.  As we all leaped out of the car, and stepped on black ice, my step mom and I stabilized each other as we practically skated across the parking lot.  We took our luggage and checked in.  When we finally settled into the room my sister and I plopped on our bed and my dad and step mom on theirs.  My feet were so cold from the wet and cold weather they were numb.  My hands were also numb and couldn't warm them up. 
I said, “Angela, will you please warm up my feet?”
“Sure”, she replied.  We sat on the bed with my cold feet in her warm hands, and  I just thought about how nice that was.  She loved me enough to touch my freezing cold feet with her warm hands.  Every time she let go they got cold again, so she kept rubbing them.  She has become like a mother to me and kind of like a best friend too.