Fishing for Satisfaction | Teen Ink

Fishing for Satisfaction

When I was around the five year old age, I would always enjoy and admired he really amazing fishing times I would share with my Dad.  We would be on the wooden, soggy dock or the metal rocking boat which is hot to touch with the sun beaming right at it.  Every once in a while, I would throw out a good cast with the approval of my dad saying “Nice cast, keep it up and you’ll definitely catch something” or “Good job, you made a sweet cast”.  I would always feel a good connection with my dad when we fished and would build a better relationship with him each time we were out there.   I always learned a new thing or two with each fishing time I was out there, but most importantly, I would learn about the fun and love I shared with my dad even if it didn’t mean that much to me back then.  We would stare at the sun reflected lake and take in the beautiful scenery, sometimes seeing a fish near the surface.  When we walked around trying to find the perfect spot to cast a line, our shoes would be damp from the dew that lies around the ground.  When we did find the perfect spot upon the soft sand, we would claim the territory and setup for the success we hope to have. Once we would believe that we are ready to start the day, my dad would reach into the ice cooler and pull out the long, dirty nightcrawlers.  “You ready to bait your hook” he would say to me.
“No thanks,” I would say sarcastically as I never wanted to do it.  When my father baited both lines due to the fear of touching the worm, we would be ready to cast.  When he would bait my hook, I felt an attachment with him and his love knowing that he will be there for me for anything, even baiting a hook.  When I had an issue with my car, he would be there for me just like baiting a hook.  As I picked up the fishes worst nightmare, I would tilt the pole back be ready to give the most powerful swing I could manage.  Due to my short age though, the cast wouldn’t be that powerful.  When I gave it my all in the swing of the pole, I would get far enough to pass the weeds.  I felt proud and accomplished with the distance I made, and would tend to gloat about it with my dad.  Now the part that would kill me in fishing would be the wait that came with it.  I would stare at the water, letting the patience take over the best it can and hope that the wait would soon be over.  My mind would drift to another place, throwing my concentration off.  I would be slouched over sitting on the dryest part of the sand to keep myself from not getting my butt wet.  “When will the fish bite” I asked, hoping I would get a precise time.
“Who knows, they may not bite at all” he would say back, deteriorating my spirits from hoping to catch a fish.  As i would stare at the ants trying to scour food on the sand, I would feel a slight tug on the rod, making me jump up with excitement.  I waited and stared at the bobber, watching it sit still on the water, hoping it would give a dance.  After what felt like 5 minutes, I saw it move again, this time with more force behind the tug.  I knew this was my moment to yank the rod to get ahold of what could be my prize for the day.  “I got one dad, come look” I exclaimed with joy!  As I reeled as fast as possible, I hoped my kiddy fragile rods string wouldn’t snap, breaking my spirits on catching any fish for the rest of the day.  The more I reeled, the more I knew this would be my catch and it would be a big one too.  Ten feet to five feet, it was coming in fast and I knew this was it.  As it came on shore, I walked closer to the edge of the water and pulled it up.  My eyes widened on how large the bass was. 

“Looks like a small mouth bass, and a big one too” my dad said to me.  The amount of satisfaction I got out of catching this fish was enormous even though the satisfaction wasn't because of the catch.  My dads support was huge from what I got, like the satisfaction I got out of playing my guitar.  I would feel the improvement and the entertainment

I achieved from playing a guitar while I fished.  I stood there and stared at it, knowing that the victory was obtained.  As my dad took the hook out and released the fish, I really enjoyed the moment that happened.  As the day got later and we packed up ready to leave, I thought that maybe the fishing part was the highlight of the day.  The time spent with my dad was really had me happy, whether I would’ve caught a fish or not.  This was a really good day.