Hospital visit | Teen Ink

Hospital visit

By Danielle Parafian BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
Danielle Parafian BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

Let me tell you about this time where I spent some time in the hospital. I stood there shivering in the brisk winter air, as she took her sweet time fidgeting with the exposure on the camera to cope with the bright white snow. Here I am, standing on the icy bridge in clothes that would be suitable for the middle of the fall, not the dead of winter.
“Ready? 3...2…”
“Take the picture!” I interjected.
“1…” the camera clicked, clicked, clicked.

The shutter speed was on high to make sure she captured every little movement my body made. A small muscle in my face moving, a hair or two blowing in the wind, even capturing pictures of snow pelting me in the face from the mighty winds blowing it from the branches above us.

“Okay, now take a hand full of snow and throw it towards me when I tell you to.”
I looked at her as I tilted my head. “Danielle, just pick up the snow.” Kali was starting to get irritated.
I get sick very easily, and I was already fighting off a cold when she asked me to be her model for her photography class. I did as she said, and packed a chunk of snow into my bare hands. I began to shake, to the point where it was noticeable from ten feet away. The exposure in the photos had come out too white for her liking, and we had to do our pretend snow ball fight again.
“Are you cold?” she called to me as I walked slowly to the snow coated swings.
“No, not at all! It feels like out here!” the sarcasm in my voice was distinguishable.
“Alright… after this shot we can go get some food, okay?”
I brushed off the seat, and sat down. I started to pump the frozen over swing with my slightly frozen legs. I started smiling and laughing for the camera, then I kicked some snow at the camera for the effect of me looking like I’m at least having some fun.
“Kali, can you take me home after this?” my voice was shaky, and my teeth were chattering.
“What’s wrong?” she seemed concerned.
“I think I just need to sleep.”
She took me home, and I slept for the rest of the day into a good chunk of the next day. I woke up shivering, vomiting a pure black substance, and my abdomen felt like I was being eaten alive by fire ants. My mom rushed me to the hospital, and they took me right away. I remember waking up connected to an IV bag.
“This is your second bag..” I heard a soft, familiar voice come from the right side of my hospital bed.
It was my mom, she hadn’t left my side in six hours. A doctor walked in the room swiftly.
“It seems her stomach is inflamed and swollen, we’re going to pump an anti-inflammatory in her IV bag.” The doctor was quick to the point and out of the room before we knew it.  They began to pump the anti-inflammatory into my IV, and it made me feel a cold numbness in my arm. I didn’t say anything about it, I thought everything was okay.
It was the day before Christmas Eve that I was rushed in. I was released on Christmas Eve. We drove home that afternoon, making it home just in time for our family dinner.
“Danielle, be careful when you’re playing with the dog. He seems to be full of it today.” My mom hollered to me from the other room as she was preparing dinner with my grandma.
I started grabbing at his paws, and he started pouncing at my arms. He got my arm a little too hard so I pulled away quickly. I looked down at my arms, and started screaming for my family. They found me on the floor in tears; the medicine that they had injected into my IV bag was making me have an allergic reaction. Panic rushed through my body, as I began to wonder what was going to happen to me. Wherever the dog scratched me was puffed up a good amount. My mom got me back into the car, and we were off to the ER. I was put on another IV  to flush the medicine out of system. I’ve never been so scared of a hospital, and I am now terrified of hospitals, emergency rooms, or even the smallest signs of cold.