Pride | Teen Ink

Pride

By Benjamin Weiss BRONZE, Franklin, Massachusetts
Benjamin Weiss BRONZE, Franklin, Massachusetts

30 seconds. 30 seconds until the Franklin Flyers defeated the KP Indians. I glanced at the scoreboard. Its vibrant red neon numbers read “Home: 7 Away: 0”. I refocused back on the game. Adrenaline pumped through my veins as I skated down the snow filled ice. We, the Franklin Flyers, were going to be champions, on top of the 2nd grade world.

You might think that the yelling, cheering, and smiling would be the only thing I could remember from that day. But I remember something much more important than a larger-than-life trophy.

After every game I could always expect to see my dad. He was always the first person to greet me. Instead of his usual “Good game, son”, he said something very unexpected. My dad didn’t compliment my backward skating or my capability of lifting my opponent’s stick. But instead my dad pointed out the resiliency of the other team and the “pride” that they had.

How could a team who had just lost 7-0 have pride? This made me think. My dad proceeded to tell me how the other team worked hard despite their deficit. They fought through their woes.

I believe that with pride, you can achieve anything. Pride is the most important tool in life. Without it how are you supposed to enjoy yourself? It is not just a word that you can use for anything. It needs effort and responsibility. I use this on and off the turf.

I have been a soccer player for more than ten years. I use this pride to reflect my love for the sport and the position that I play, goalie. With it, I have become a great player, leader, and captain. I can say the same thing for my school work. Without using this effort and pride, then my work will never be satisfied. It keeps me going in what I do. It has shaped me into the person that I am today. 

boooooooooo said...
hey nice memoir reallyim not kidding.

greet memwor it was wonderful and very insirying  

mannnnn said...
nice paragraph