Change of Perspective | Teen Ink

Change of Perspective

By mare22 BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
mare22 BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois

Change of Perspective

Why continuously do something you don’t enjoy? Well I’d rather stop doing it and start something new. In the beginning of junior year of high school I had decided to stop basketball and start working. Starting my working career had completely changed my perspective on how I viewed the world.
You know that nervous feeling you get in your gut? No not butterflies, just when you're so nervous and you’re thinking “Holy s*** I can’t f*ing move”. Thats the feeling I had felt before my first job interview. It was at Michaels craft store. My sister had worked there when she was in high school and had a manger put in a good word for me. I had no idea where I was suppose to go when I walked into the store. I had asked a worker to let the store manager, Shaun know that I was there. It was time for a brave face, strong hand shake, introduction of myself, to smile, be outgoing, act like you're always happy, and eye contact. Shaun had salt and pepper colored hair, a small gap in between his teeth, a collared blue shirt, and black pants on. Little had I known I wasn’t actually going to be interviewed. He talked for a half hour about protocol and what I would be doing at the store. I basically already had the job and was told to call the next day and let him know if I wanted the job. Why the hell was I so nervous? That was as easy as falling off a log.
Competition between teammates is never something I enjoyed. Aren’t these people suppose to be my best friends? Then why the f*** did they go around saying they wanted me to get hurt, so they could have my position on the team? This was a huge turn off for me when it came to basketball, and a huge part in why I decided to give it up. The “team” I played with my sophmore year for Maine South High School in Park Ridge, Illinois was so depressing. Everyone talked about each other behind their backs, and made me realize, I no longer wanted to take any part in it. Quitting would mean I’d have a lot more time on my hands, and I figured why not get a job? I mean who couldn’t use money? Since I’d be going away to college in two years, it’d be a good idea to have some money saved up.
While working I had come to terms that I do have it easy in life. When I complain about having no food in my house and being hungry, my mom jumps to the rescue. When turning sixteen I was given a car. Without this car, it would of been near impossible for me to get a job. I begun to realize at work that not everyone is given as many opportunities as me. This woman had to come to work two hours early often because thats what time her bus came. Who wants to sit for two extra hours? I mean that sounds so boring, I’d rather be at home enjoying those two hours. This woman who is forty years older than me has to rely on the bus for her transportation while I am given my own car, how crazy right? I haven’t done anything with my life and am just given these privileges.
My perspective on life has greatly been affected upon getting a job. I have found theres a world outside of the perfect town of Park Ridge, Illinois, that I am very privileged with what I have been given, and no matter how f*ing nervous you are you’ll get through it. I know it may seem silly to act like these things can change a person, but they have. I believe quitting basketball is one of the best decision I’ve made in my life.