One Small Idea | Teen Ink

One Small Idea

June 4, 2014
By Erik Kareliussen BRONZE, Clinton, Connecticut
Erik Kareliussen BRONZE, Clinton, Connecticut
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The world population has surpassed seven billion and is still constantly growing. Think of how large of a number that is. Also think, you are one person out of that entire population. The idea of being so small and insignificant is irrelevant when you think of the possibilities of how you can change the entire world with one single idea. I have thought about this and have at points in my life came up with ideas that could change the world. This idea has also guided me in the direction of what career I hope to follow. This motivation will help drive me and influence my life. Who knows maybe I will be the next great man to change the world forever.

I walk into the computer lab, ready to complete my final assignment for my Intro to Engineering class. “Your final assignment is to create an invention that has not been made already, explain how it works and what problems it would solve.” I thought for a moment what is a problem that could be solved easily with a new invention? Then it hit me people who are disabled can be helped with a device that allows them to move again. Next I moved onto the idea of the invention. Neural impulses allow the body to function, being sent through the spinal cord. Many people who are disabled have damaged their spinal cord and signals can no longer be sent through them. “A small flexible piece of metal could fix that I thought.” Here I realized a simple idea can change the world.

In another way the idea of changing the world with a small idea has influenced my career search. I want to help people around the world who are less fortunate than I am. One day my dad told me about biomedical engineering and what could be done in this field. I instantly at this moment wanted to have a career in this field. This field has the potential to be the most influential on the world. It is the study of technology and biology that is put into healthcare technology. One more specific section of this study is the development of prosthetics. These devices change people’s lives around the world today and the development of new more efficient devices will affect the world even more in the future.

The future is uncertain but I believe I am destined for greatness. We have all learned about the great scientists who have changed the world and I plan to become one of them. The Earth is a small planet in our galaxy and the thought of how many galaxies there are blows you away. It makes you think about how small you are in our whole universe. Most people feel that they are unable to make a difference being so small. I think the opposite; a person can change the world drastically with only a small idea. I believe that with this motivation I will succeed and change the world forever.