Goodbye | Teen Ink

Goodbye

June 11, 2014
By BLC2016 GOLD, Hanover, Michigan
BLC2016 GOLD, Hanover, Michigan
13 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I love books. I love that moment when you open one and sink into it. You can escape from the world, into a story that's way more interesting than your's will ever be." -Elizabeth Scott


"Goodbye" is such a short word for all of the meaning it holds. Truthfully, it doesn't even begin to cover all words that need to be said most of the time. Often, more deserves to be said, but sometimes all you can manage to say is goodbye. The reason it's such a hard word at times is because it signifies separation from someone or something you love. Recently, I've said goodbye to a few friends. They were foreign exchange students who I was quite connected with. It hurt to send them back home. They managed to positively affect everyone they interacted with.

One of these three students was especially important to me. Her name is Venera and she lived with me and my family. I wouldn't be who I am if she hadn't come to live with us. She made me a better person, and for that I am eternally grateful. She showed me how to be more trusting, how to be optimistic when I'm having a bad day, and how to be extremely selfless. Venera cares so much about others that you can't help but care right along with her. She always goes out of her way to put others before herself. Gossiping about others never even crosses her mind. She is truly special. Watching her walk through customs to go home was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

Goodbyes don't come naturally. I know that now. Every part of me was waiting for that moment when she would turn around and come back. I had to stop myself from running after her. I couldn't believe my sister was leaving. She and I had gotten so close. How could this happen? Sure, we would try to visit sometime, but who knew how long it would be before that could happen? I cried as she made it through security and passed to the other side of the gate. There was no turning back. I waved again and mouthed the word goodbye before she turned her back for the last time. I couldn't believe she was gone. I had no words.

Shortly after that moment, I realized something. The reason goodbye hurt so much was because I cared so deeply. I decided that the pain this separation was causing was good. It would serve as a reminder that Venera had been, and still is, significant to me. I always get choked up thinking about it and I gladly accept the sadness. Really, it isn't sadness. It's love for my sister, no matter how far away she is. For anyone who is dealing with a goodbye, be strong. The pain is a good thing. For Venera, I still miss you. You're the best sister I could have hoped for.


The author's comments:
Goodbyes are never easy...