Phenominal Father | Teen Ink

Phenominal Father

May 7, 2014
By lseidler BRONZE, Valmeyer, Illinois
lseidler BRONZE, Valmeyer, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Dad. Teacher. Friend. You are a special part of me and my life. You have taught me many lessons and helped me through tough times. Without you, I am nothing. There are many reasons why you are special to me.

I can see you. I can see you with your camouflage stocking cap on; I can see you wearing a white baseball hat with a large purple “V” on it. In my memories, I can see you holding a gun and telling me to shoot; I can see you holding a baseball bat trying to improve my swing. As I look at you while you are calling in a turkey, I notice your short, rough, and grey beard that is as rough as a coral reef. Every time I think of you, I immediately think of green. Green is your favorite color, and green is what you normally wear. From baggy baseball pants to cloaking camouflage, your clothing always changes.

I can smell you. After hunting or sports, you smell like sweat. Although the odor reeks, it comforts me because I know it was successful day. Sometimes, you can even smell like Rem Oil when we are cleaning guns.

I can hear you. I can hear you with your coaching voice telling me that I need to change my form. I can hear you with your whispering voice telling me to get my gun ready. I can hear you in your parenting voice telling me that what I did was wrong and that I need to change it. I can hear you with your friendly voice telling me that I did a good job and that you are proud. I can hear the rock music that we listened to when the car was silent. I can hear your famous saying,” If you help those who are struggling, then they will help you when you are struggling.” I can hear you, and I always will hear you.

I remember our favorite food, cookie dough. We would always eat it on special occasions. At those special occasions, I feel happy. I feel happy because we are spending time together and having fun. I try not to eat too much because if I do, then I will vomit.

I can feel you. When I give you a hug, I can feel your stubby beard and your slick dress clothes. When we are hunting in the woods, I can also feel your smooth camouflage. We spend most of our time outside. Both in between white chalk lines on a baseball field or walking through the thick of the woods, we would cherish our time together, and we still cherish our time together.

I remember our special times together. I remember the time when I shot my first turkey. We tried so hard for many years until that one day. I remember it like it was yesterday. We hear the first gobble and start heading its way. When we get close to the turkey, you call again. We hear a gobble, but it is going away from us. I wanted to chase it, but you told me to be patient. After waiting for a while, I hear a turkey yelp. I look up and spot a hen and a gobbler. I raise my gun, squeeze the trigger, and shoot the gobbler. The shot was as loud as a plane. I remember giving you a big hug. That was my favorite memory that I have shared with you.

I have a lot of feelings when I am around you. I feel safe when I am around you. I feel safe because I know that no matter what happens, you will always protect me. I feel comfortable when I am around you. I feel comfortable because I know that I can always be myself and you will still love me. Every day, you inspire me to do good in school, be respectful, and to improve my skills at anything. Whenever I am around you, I am very happy. I am happy because we share a lot of good memories together and have a fun time. Also, you are very funny. Whenever you demonstrate something new, I am shocked by how well you can do it. Sometimes, I also get angry at you, but I know that you are just trying to make me better.

You have taught me tons of important life lessons. I have learned that you should treat everybody with respect. You also taught me that if you are smart and you know what you are doing, you can accomplish anything. You have taught me this in two ways. One way is that when I make mistakes, you tell me what I did was wrong, tell me what to do in order to make it better, and punish me. Another way that you teach me these lessons is that you show me with how you act. When you teach me something, I sometimes get frustrated, but I love you for it because you stick with me and you always try to improve me. I realized that you loved me and that you just wanted me to be better. You were always trying to help me. In the end, your lessons will make me become a better person.