A Morning Walk in Husky | Teen Ink

A Morning Walk in Husky

April 20, 2014
By Mei Kajiwara BRONZE, Singapore, Other
Mei Kajiwara BRONZE, Singapore, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Under the clear blue sky covering the vast country, Australia, I take a deep breath. The fresh air delivering oxygen wakes up every cell of my body from my heavy sleep. The smell of varied fruits and vegetables grown in a small garden of the host house represents the rich nature of this country. The citrus scents from the lemon trees and passion fruit trees, and the aroma of herb, spring onions and parsley mixed all together linger on tips of my nostril, extinguishing the taste of sweet chocolate cereal and milk remaining on my tongue. The dews on short lush grasses are sparkling like crystals from receiving the morning sunlight. I unlock the wooden gate, and start walking on the black concrete road between flat houses where cars rarely drive. Rainbow colored parrots are singing on the branches of the trees lining along the road as if they are welcoming me to the small town, Huskisson located in New South Wales. It has been about six years since I last visited this town with my family. I deeply breathe in the air again, feeling nervous about the trip without my parents, but also proud of myself as if I became an explorer. The brisk wind that I feel through a thin down jacket speeds up my pace. Soon, a row of local small shops with charming well-used signboards appears. Although it is only seven o’clock now, the street is already crowded with families chatting at picnic tables and waitresses serving drinks and breakfast busily. They all greet me, an infrequent visitor from Asia, with sweet grins that they give me every time I pass them by. Even the pug with a fine black coat waiting royally for its master in front of the meat store friendlily gives a warm kiss to my outstretched hand. The smell of hot bread from the bakery and aromatic coffee that people are snacking on at the picnic tables in front of the stores makes my stomach growl. I hear them chatting cheerfully with an Australian accent, which is totally unfamiliar to me.

As I approach to the end of the lively street, I start to hear the screeches of seagulls. With my heart skipping by exultation, I dash across a park covered with a carpet of well-kept fresh-green grasses. An incredibly beautiful scene opens up before my eyes when I lean over the wooden rail encircling the park. The bright sun in the cloudless azure blue sky provides numerous golden particles on the indigo-blue sea, like a thousand tiny jewels twinkling in a dark cave. Calm waves soak white glittering sands of the beach, making gentle splashing sounds. The pale seagulls who lured me here are perching on the countless white boats shipping along the shore and the small bridges beside them. I strain my eyes and suddenly recognize a group of black triangles appearing on the offing of the sea. A school of wild dolphins are leaping high out of the water. Apparently a morning assembly of animals is being held on the beach before people come to start working. I close my eyes and draw a deep breath. The humid sea air carrying the smell of salt chills my throat. My heart is filled with hospitality from the inhabitants of this beautiful land, and beating calmly now.


The author's comments:
I wrote this piece from my precious memory of the trip to Huskisson, Australia. I hope you enjoy the beautiful nature of this small town.