A Day to Remember | Teen Ink

A Day to Remember

April 20, 2014
By haru999 BRONZE, Singapore, Other
haru999 BRONZE, Singapore, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

My nose captures the smell of stinky tofu, it smells awful, but makes me want to smell more for no reason. The town of Taipei starts to change as the sun fades down and turns into night time; as if it is the opposite side of the world seeing so many people on the streets, never to be seen when the sun is out. I step into the streets of the Shilin Night Market. All the lights from the signs and lanterns glitter in the dark sky, making it seem like the sun is still out with the brightness. The sound of young couples talking about what to do next weekend, and the voices of employees trying hard to sell their food and cheap accessories come straight into my ears. There are so many things happening in just a second; the Shilin Night Market is getting busy. Night is just starting. The heat coming from the markets and the people creates beads of sweat on my forehead.

I start walking down the long road. I go past the stores. A burst of enticing odors are smelt in one sniff, making my stomach growl. Suddenly I feel a tap on my shoulder. I turn around with fear, and see a man probably in his 60s wearing a dark blue old ragged t-shirt. He gives me a warm smile, which makes me feel relaxed, and my fears disappear. He puts out his right hand. In that hand, I see my wallet. I must have dropped it while I was being astonished by the town of Taipei. The kindness of the people living in Taiwan flatters me and makes me feel pleased. I say thank you to the warm-hearted man, as he walks past me grinning. I would probably never meet him again, but will never forget his warmth and kindness. The town of Taipei is filled with people like him, and the warmth of the people is felt; even if I have only been here for a few days.

I walk down the street of Shilin, and find an old little market store in the streets. The poster of the shop says “Shaved Mango Ice cream”. There is a couple in front of the store, eating the ice cream, sharing it with two spoons and laughing; which looks so pleasant and heart warming. On a plastic plate, the light orange colored ice cream is glamorous with some condensed milk as the topping and vanilla ice cream with two cherries connected like twins for decoration. My legs gradually walk me towards the store. I ask the old man at the counter for one shaved mango ice cream, in English and not in Chinese. The old man seems surprised, thinking I was Taiwanese. He has a grin on his face, almost like telling me, “Welcome to Taiwan”. I wait for only 30 seconds; the shaved mango ice cream is ready for me to eat. The appetizing taste flows through my mouth, and into my stomach. I put my spoon into the ice cream again to have another taste, and I tell myself, what a magnificent place it is here in Taiwan, and is going to be a good part of my memory of life.


The author's comments:
I want the readers to feel as if they are actually there at the town of Taipei. I want the people who read my piece be more interested in Taiwan.