Road Test | Teen Ink

Road Test

By ssqueakerss BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
ssqueakerss BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

The road test is a very important test. It decides whether or not you will be a licensed driver. When you're a licensed driver you can go where you want, for how long you want, when you want. My road test was scheduled for 1:45 on December 26, 2013. The test was in Lake Orion at a Basketball America. It was the day after Christmas, the roads were salted and mostly plowed. We took my moms car because my brother was taking his road test before me and because I had more experience with her car than my own. My mom drives a Ford Escape. I drive a 2001 Jeep Cherokee. When we got there we headed to the back of the parking lot where we saw his Ford Wind-star van. My brother took his road test first while I waited in the basketball center next to the parking lot where I would take my parking portion of the test. I watched him from inside the Basketball America through the windows on a bench by the door. I watched him park forward, backward and parallel. He passed his parking portion and then left the parking lot to the streets where the driving portion of the test began. I had a nice chill session as I waited there for the next 45 minutes as I listened to my rap music from my Samsung S4. As soon as I noticed that they were finished with the road test I went outside into the cold and walked to my moms car, got into the car and it was completely quiet. The road tester was a heavy set guy with graying hair and glasses he was wearing a red rain coat with blue jeans. He looked like a straight grader and that there would be no curve balls meaning I’d have a fair chance in passing my road test. The tester began telling my brother “because of your speed and that you went 5 over the speed limit twice, you didn't pass your road test”. He told my brother “ You can sign up for another road test and you can take it within the next couple days”. This made me really nervous that maybe I wasn't going to pass my road test. It was time for me to begin my road test so I went to the drivers seat while my brother sat in the Basketball America. He asked me to brake, use my turn signals, then turn on my lights as he inspected my moms car to make sure everything was operational. Everything was working so we started the parking portion of the test. First I had to pull up to a line with another line about 6” in front of it and have my bumper in between them. Next I had to back into a parking spot. Then I had to parallel park which is what I thought was going to be the hardest. But I did them all perfectly. Next he got into the car and we began the road portion of the road test. He began telling me to turn into different lanes and would warn me when I would go 5 over. I would watch the traffic in front of me and go 10 under them just to be sure that I didn't go too fast if I didn't know the speed limit. I would keep my eyes on the speedometer the entire time. We went onto the highway and throughout Oakland County. When we were finished we got back to the Basketball America. We pulled to where the parking section was done and he explained told “You went 5 over once but you passed my road test in spite of it”. I was really happy that I passed my road test but I couldn't help but feel sorry for my brother. I learned that I should always be watching my speed, checking all my mirrors, all the time because you never know when a cop might be watching you.