The Day I lost my Grandma | Teen Ink

The Day I lost my Grandma

I was home sick from school that day. I was in seventh grade. My brothers were at school and my dad was at work. Me and my mom were the only ones home that morning. We were at the top of the stair case talking when the home phone rang.

My mom answered and I watched her face quicky change expresions from happy to terrified. She went into her bedroom and shut the door. I sat infront of the door trying to listen to the phone conversation, but all I could hear was crying.

She came out and said "Grahm is not waking up, I am going over to check on her and Grandpa. But first I am going to call Mrs. Lisa to see if you can stay at God's Helping Hands. Go get dressed."

While I was getting dressed I looked through my necklesses and found the locket Grahm had given me for my fifth grade graduation two years ago. If anything happened to her, this would be my reminder of everything she was to me. A friend, A mentor, pretty much everything a grandmother can be to their grandchild.

When My mom came to pick me up I asked her if grahm was okay. she told me that dad would tell me and my brothers when he gets home. I didn't want to believe it, but I knew right then-and-there that I might not see grahm again. I clutched on to the locket around my neck and said a silent prayer in my head, then followed my mom out the door.

Sure enough, later that day my dad came home. Grandpa was with him, but there was no Grahm. My dad toke my younger brother, Andrew, in his lap and begun to speak. "everyday, people are loosing loved ones. Today we are those people." He paused for moment. "Grahm didn't wake up this morning. she passed away in her sleep."

The room went silent as Andrew buried his head in his pillow. My older brother, Chris, gave my grandpa a hug. But me, I did not do anything. I just sat there, frozen as I realized my mom had already told me this. Not in words, but actions. Answering the phone with a smile, then quickly changed to a sad, frightened expression. Not want me to go with her to my grandparents. The truth was right there all day, slapping me in the face and I did not even know until she said "dad will tell you when he gets home."

Until now, I have never had someone so close to me pass away. Now I know what it's like to have something or someone taken away from you in a matter of just a day. My life has changed. How can I go through life without her? Every sunday we would see Grahm and Grandpa at church. We would go out to lunch together as a family. But now, we will not have Grahm with us, it's just Grandpa and his dog, Dusty.

I could not look anyone in the eye, I ran upstairs to my room and buried myself under my covers. I cried as I remembered what she had said when she gave me the locket. "This was my mothers, she gave it to me when I was a little girl. Know it's your turn. Take good care of it for me."

I remembered being speechless. She choose her son's daughter over her own daughter, or even one of her daughter's daughters to give this locket to. "Thanks." was all I could get out. Now that she is gone, I wish I could have said more that day. In a moment like that, you got to say what you need to, because you never know if you will get the chance to ever say it again.

To this day, every time I see that neckless it makes me smile, because it's a reminder of how great she was. But it also made me cry because I miss her so much. It held so many memories of Grahm. Going to lunch, spending Thanksgiving and Christmas at her house. She was famous for her delicous banana bread. But now, it is all gone. Banana bread will never be the same again.