The News | Teen Ink

The News

By jerryballer01 BRONZE, Washington DC, District Of Columbia
jerryballer01 BRONZE, Washington DC, District Of Columbia

You mad or na?

I remember it like it was yesterday, because that event was tragic. I was in bed getting ready to sleep, when next thing I know my grandmother came in with “the news”.

It was two to three years ago, my aunt Barbara, but most people called her “Baba” for short was diagnosed with cancer. Not just any cancer but the number one cancer that causes the most deaths. So my aunt was diagnosed with cancer she started to become disabled, but I didn’t know. So every Sunday nine times out of ten the family would visit her house and we would watch football and eat. When my aunt was able she would cook up a storm, I could smell the food all the way from the living room. I loved to eat her food. But when she got cancer people still cooked, and the food was still good. But it wasn’t the same. Although aunt Barbara was battling cancer she was losing. One-day uncle Larry her husband called the family and said that aunt Barbara had died. It was devastating to know that a family member died. At the funeral everyone was in pain and sorrow. After the funeral we all went back to aunt Barbara's house and fellowshipped by eating and watching TV, Monday night football didn’t start for a while so we just watched regular TV. We remembered her in our hearts. At the next family reunion on Sunday we lit a candle in honor of her and never forgot her.

So that is how it happened when aunt Barbara got breast cancer, and how it was when I got, “the news”.

This happened when I was in elementary school and this was personal to me.