Atomic | Teen Ink

Atomic

By Emma DeCola BRONZE, Plymouth, Massachusetts
Emma DeCola BRONZE, Plymouth, Massachusetts

There is no privacy on the ski mountain. You're in the open, if you don’t like the attention then stay off. Skiing is a sport where you need to multi-task, look up yet look down, stay low but not too low, turn but go fast. The terrain park is where you really need to pay attention, one wrong move and you could get hurt.

The coldness of the winter morning got to me, the fumes from the hand warmers was disgusting. It reminded me of the smell of burning rubber. But to not get frost bite...it was worth it. I saw the white glare of the snow burn my eyes. The lift ride took forever, it felt never ending. But I looked down at the terrain park underneath my Atomic race 8 skis. I looked at a teenager land a 30 feet high jump and I wondered how high I could go. I smelled the fried food and Kate looked up to me and said “lets have lunch after this run” I nodded my head yes. After an eternity we got off the lift, wondering what the mountain would bring next.

Hannah, Kate and I all agreed that we would meet in the usual place, right at the entrance of the terrain park. I got there first, Kate and Hannah trailing not far behind me. I looked up at the bright green chairs crammed with people like a New York street. I was wondering what would happen if I were to fall, would people laugh, well I’ll just have to wait and see.

The cold winter air brushed against my face and made it red, like an apple. I could hear it move the snow to the places it wanted to go. “You ready to go!” I said. “I’ll go first.” Hannah volunteered. “I’ll go next” Kate said. “Lets all wait for each other at the jump” “Okay” Kate said. I had watched the go down the hill like a squirrel crossing the street, freely and without a care.

I found them waiting for me at the “jump”, we were the only girls there. I mumbled beneath my neck warmer “I’ll go last” Hannah went first, she did an amazing jump for it being her fourth time, Kate went next and got 12 feet at least. Then I went, I smelled the pine from the near by forest. I have race skis which are more dense and make you go faster. I tucked, making me bolt at the jump, the crunch of snow under skis is what you want to hear. I hit the jump like lightning on a tree, fast and furious. I was up, at least 20 feet as my friends tell me, I was flying, soaring through mid-air without a thought in my mind, I didn’t care about the world around me, not the ski team or the delicious fumes coming from the lounge, the click clack of the ski lift, or even the fact that someone had just landed and wows came from every direction. The glistening snow around me didn’t even cross my mind. I could have had no gloves on for all I care, the only important thing right now is telling myself that I need to remain calm to land and if my knees buckle I’m going to fall on my butt in front of hundreds of people.

I landed, and abrupt halt to my moment of fame. Knowing that I had to stop and see my friends I turned vigorously. I left my mark on Cannon Mountain, and took no privacy very well.

This is about my life. Skiing isn't a sport. Its a way of life. You have to be committed to what you are doing. Epically if you are in the terrain park. You have to risk hurting yourself. You must treat every jump as if it is your last.