What I Carry | Teen Ink

What I Carry

By Chewy1416 BRONZE, Temperance, Michigan
Chewy1416 BRONZE, Temperance, Michigan

Dear Grandpa,

It feels like it was just yesterday that you were handing me that black and freshly polished chrome harmonica no bigger than the size of my hand. I have been holding on to this for what seems to be only weeks when in reality, it has been years. Not only did you teach me how to play it, you taught me how to value the little things in life and keep family close. I have not stopped since. Every time I glance at harmonica, memories flash before my eyes. Each one with the harmonica gripped tightly by my hand. Never remembering a time without the harmonica in my hands. I think about these past memories when I lay awake at night. All of them just as happy as when I was with you there in person.

One of my favorite memories is when we used to go fishing off the pond near your house. The clear, calm pond and the soothing sounds of the woods made it almost seem nothing else mattered in the world. I am now starting to figure out the races we used to have to the nearest tree or rock was you just letting me win. You always did that to me, making me feel good and proud of myself. I am now using that in everyday life today. Once we got to the pond, you always had to help me with the bait on the hook because I always hated the feeling of the icky, slimy worms. Then you would always tell me to cast the line as far out as I could. It would not go very far so I always needed your help. Then we would wait for seemed to be hours when it was only ten minutes. You know how impatient I was as a four-year-old child. Luckily the fish always seemed to be biting because in no time we had caught a fish. You always would hold it for me and let me touch it because I was always too afraid to hold it. Then we would set it in the water and watch it swim away. We would do this for hours on end, some points being boring and long while other points were fun and exciting. Although, you always kept me busy during those long times with your harmonica. I would always just sit there and listen to you as you played. That always was my favorite part. Just relaxing and listening to the beautiful sounds of your harmonica. Whenever I am stressed now, I just replay that sound in my head and things always seem to calm down for me. After that, we would pack up and head home. It may not have sounded like that greatest memory in the world, but it meant the most to me. Spending one on one time with you was always rare with my sister being around, but you could always find time for me and that meant a lot. It made me feel important and I know that is all you really cared about.

I remember once you cleaned and gave me your harmonica, my feelings were breathtaking. I could not believe you gave me one of your favorite things in the world. That is just it though, you cared more about other people than yourself and that is what made you such a great person. Not only just how caring you were, you had a great sense of humor and was so kind to people. That is what made people love you. I still carry that harmonica just as a constant reminder to be just as great as you were and to know you are always watching over me. Thank you so much for the things you taught me and the years we had together. It meant the world to me. I love and miss you and may you rest in peace.

Sincerely,

Brendan