Finding Positives Within the Negatives | Teen Ink

Finding Positives Within the Negatives

October 17, 2013
By CaryWilson BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
CaryWilson BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Everyone in the world is dealt their share of sad or bad times of their life. But, not everyone can find the positives in that and embrace it, and then grow from it. People need to instead of seeing all negatives as just a negative; they need to see them as having a positive also. Yes, there are negatives. You aren’t going to get past that, but instead of mourning over it they need to see a positive and grow as a better person from it. It will form you into a better person, you have to find the positives within the negatives. Whenever I think about this it always brings me to the thoughts of when my mom was hit by a car.

It was sixth grade, around two forty-five. It was just an average day; I was on the bus on my way home. It was the middle of January, and we had just had a snow storm the night before. When all of the sudden my phone started vibrating, I could barely feel it in my pocket. As I looked at the screen on the front of the phone I couldn't make out what the screen said, it had been shattered when I dropped it the week before. As I opened the phone I was trying to figure out who was calling me? Why where they calling? No one ever called me right after school. This is still to this day only one of three phone calls I have ever gotten right after school, I had two others after school this year and one other last year, both regarding me taking people home from school. None of the recent calls have been a negative call unlike my Dad's call. Thoughts began going through my head, going from something as simple as I forgot something at school, all the way to someone close to me died. I was thinking about how the line could be between life and death and that you never know when someone close to you could go. At this point we were turning the corner near the local ice cream place, and I was standing up because there weren't any more seats. I was four seats back. As I look back this proves to me that your senses are heightened when you are in a time of stress or discomfort. As I answer the phone I see it’s my Dad, I say “hello?” He says, “I need to tell you something.” Without me even saying anything back he starts to tell me that my Mom had been hit by car, she was on the side of the road. As soon as he said this, I could feel the emotions start to hit me, all of the sounds of the bus disappeared; I just swallowed, trying to hold in my emotions. I didn't even know what to say, it was a feeling I had never felt before. The feelings were different from anything that I would have thought I would feel. It was a mixture of shock and sadness, I didn't think something like this would happen to me especially not to someone as close to me as my mom. I could feel a knot in my stomach starting to grow, as this happened I thought to myself, what is going on with my life? My Dad knew I was shocked, so to try to lighten the mood he sent me a picture of my mom’s hospital room. It was all white, every single thing in the room, except one thing, a red tool box. It was so weird to see this, so surreal but at the same time kind of funny. Only my Dad would find a funny aspect of such a thing. As I think back I find it hilarious that he sent me that, it completely lightened the mood and showed me that my Mom was going to be okay. But, at the same time I was thinking, this will only bring my family closer then we have ever been before and, we will find the positives from this; you have to take one step back to take two steps forward. Right after everything went back to normal, or somewhat normal my family was as close as they have ever been.

Currently, I believe that my mom being hit by a car was actually a positive as weird as that may sound, it made me a stronger person, and now I try to find the positives that are hidden by the negatives. The experience has and will continue to have shaped me to be a better person, in my opinion I feel that I have become more of a kid who is quiet, and I like that more about me. I have become more caring for others and it has opened my eyes. The future completely changed right after this happening. It shaped me to be a person who is completely different from the “old” me. Almost as if a new person was born, but only with my personality.