Profiling | Teen Ink

Profiling

By cocobell97 BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
cocobell97 BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

This is the day that would definitely change my perspective on life, I didn't know it yet but that evening I would be doing something that not a lot of other people wouldn't have the courage to do.

It was a cold February afternoon snow and slush covered the ground and me and my mom where walking into the Old Navy clothing store. It had been a long day and I was ready to go home and relax but my mom insisted so in to the store we went. Before we could reach the door we were stopped by a short man wearing a baseball cap.

He was a man in his 30's and was not the most trusting looking, but then again you can't trust anyone. He was skinny and had yellow teeth like a smoker would and he was standing out in front of his old red car that was covered in rust.

Well my mom definitely did not trust him because she grabbed my hand and started walking faster toward the store. Being a 6 year old it was natural that I was curious, I saw a cage in the trunk of his car and my mind was set, one way or another I was going to see what was in that cage.

I started to pull loose out of her grip and run towards the man she chased after me screaming my name but I was but 10 feet from the man when she grabbed me, she knelt down looked right into my eyes grasping both my arms “ what do you think you're doing! don't run away from me like that, I don't want you to get hurt” she ranted.

She looked at me with the most disappointed face, I knew that I wasn't supposed to talk to strangers but I was a rebellious kid who thought could do anything I wanted to and I really didn't care what my mom had to say about it because I was miss independent .

She stood up and reached for my hand and I placed my hand in hers. The man looked at my mother as she started to walk away and he piped “hello ladies, would you gals be interested in some animals?“ my mom stopped and turned to look at him and he smiled then continued “They all need good homes because my new apartment doesn't allow pets” my mom glanced at me then looked at him answered with anticipation “ what kind of animals do you have? “ taking a few steps back he grabbed a paper from off the top of the rabbit cage sitting in the trunk and we walked closer to the car and he began to read some stuff to my mom.

It seemed like forever until my mom turned to me her mood completely shifted she looked at me smiling and beamed “This man has a puppy that was non allergenic and i want you to meet her” My eyes lit up with excitement, and with a large smile on my face I said “Okay!” at that moment anything was possible, I had dreamed my whole life for this moment and now it was finally happening. I was going to get a puppy, one to call my own and be just like all the little girls at school who had puppies, a new friend that I could talk to and play with and would always have time for me, and I couldn't wait to go and meet her.

When we arrived the man walked us up to his apartment and the first thing I felt was worried because, my mother has always told me when someone you don't know offers you a free puppy you just keep walking and you definitely don't talk to them. So I don't know what she was thinking when she agreed to follow him to his house. We walked through the front door and we stepped into the small apartment, he seemed to keep it very clean and organized so maybe I misjudged him based on his looks.

He gestured for us to sit down and said “have a seat and Ill go and get her”. My mom sat on the couch and I sat on the carpet then he disappeared behind a door. My mind was racing with all the possible things that could happen running through my head, what if she didn't like me? What if this guy was lying to us and is dangerous? What if something bad goes wrong? I was excited but at the same time I was scared.

I heard footsteps approaching two large in a consistent pattern and four small in random fast pattern. The door knob twisted slowly and the door hinges squeaked open and for just a moment I thought to myself this is the beginning, the first impressions are always the most important and this moment right now is going to decide if I am going to have a dog or not.

My head floated back down to reality and out from behind the door out popped a medium sized dog with curly chocolate brown fur that covered her eyes and four little paws that made her prance around like a little lamb. She glared right at me and I was so afraid that she didn't like me, so not knowing what to do I smiled at her and before I know it she starts running right at me and I fall on my back while shes licking me and jumping on me. That day changed me and it taught me that if you take a chance on someone you have trouble trusting you could end up rewarded.

In this memoir I learn that its not right to judge a book by its cover and the best things in life can come from some of the strangest people.