My Mother's Homeland | Teen Ink

My Mother's Homeland

June 4, 2013
By Fatmira Curovic BRONZE, Staten Island, New York
Fatmira Curovic BRONZE, Staten Island, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

My favorite place to visit is my mother’s homeland, Shkoder, Albania.The heart of Shkoder is Shkoder Piazza Park. It’s basically like Times Square, in New York City. Native and friendly, people all around you converse in Albanian. Even with a population of about 90,000, everyone in Shkoder all seem to know each other. This gives a very welcoming feeling and especially a feeling that says, “I’m home.” Everyone is familiar with each other; it’s almost like a big family. As you take a stroll in the park, you can notice the beautiful fountain right in the middle of Piazza Park. The water is as clear as glass. It is truly a marvelous sight. You smell the scent of Albania’s famous and sometimes, spicy sausages called Qebapa. There are many exciting things to do in Piazza Park. It’s a fun place for both children and adults. Children play in the playground, eat popcorn, and buy balloons. They laugh as they express their amusement. Adults can visit all kinds of stores like clothing stores, jewelry, and even bookstores. To eat, you can visit the many cafes and restaurants surrounding this spectacular place. They have tasty deserts such as ice cream and delicious tiramisu. Also surrounding Piazza Park is the towering, five-star hotel called the Europa Grand Hotel. Across the street from Piazza Park, is a beautiful mosque called the Abdullah Al-Zamil Mosque. Thousands of people marvel at its beauty each day, while it stands grand and majestic. While sitting on a bench at Piazza Park, you can enjoy the peaceful setting and might even hear Albanian music playing live. But, when you get to an area that is by the street, you can hear the honks of the car horns on the busy streets. Crowded and loud, the streets in Albania are as busy as the taxi drivers of New York City. I hope to visit Albania soon to enjoy this wonderful place again!