Connecting with a Horse | Teen Ink

Connecting with a Horse

By iluvrocky SILVER, Odessa, Florida
iluvrocky SILVER, Odessa, Florida

I smile when I catch God watching me through the eyes of a horse.
-Kevin Weatherby

Helping someone in need is a worthy and wonderful experience. Not only does it make me feel proud of the special needs and me, it also makes them happy understanding I’m trying to help them and realizing that they are improving. I volunteer at Horse Connections, a non-profit therapeutic horsemanship program for anyone with special needs of all ages at Rockin’ Horse Farm. According to the North American Riding for the Handicapped Association, “Because horseback gently and rhythmically moves to the rider’s body similar to a human gait, riders with physical disabilities often show improvement in flexibility, balance and muscle strength.” Connecting with a horse by forming a unique relationship with them can lead to increased confidence, patience, and best of all, self-esteem. I, along with all the other volunteers, wish to make our riders feel capable, which improves them physically and mentally. Thus, when they feel good about themselves that is when the real magic begins.

I began volunteering at Horse Connections in the year 2007, when it first opened. I was only in the third grade and though I was young at the time, I was eager to assist and change someone’s life. Horse Connections intrigued me. I was fascinated at how it all worked; how just an austic kid riding a horse altered the coarse of their life ahead of them when before they lost all hope of attachment or ever being able to communicate to others. What I discovered later on wasn’t that the students transformed so miraculously by just riding, though that was a part of it, it was mostly just a simple bond between rider and horse. That was how the horses responded so well to the students and it just amazed me. I had never, in all my sixteen years of life, ever witnessed anything as mind-blowing as a connection between a special needs and one of our own horses. There really is not a thing in this world that could make me happier.

The first time volunteering at Horse Connections was, with no other words to describe it, fun! I thought that volunteering with the impaired was pretty exhilarating. I got to interact with kids and learn how their days went. Also what their favorite items were. One little boy I will always remember is Lewy. Lewy was only six years old at the time and before he started therapeutic lessons, he barely spoke a word to anyone. Within the first few months at Rockin’ Horse Farm, it was almost impossible to shut him up! At one point, if he was jabbering too much and was not paying attention while riding his favorite Pony Pedro, I would point to the ground and exclaim excitedly, “Look Lewy, it’s a grasshopper! You wanna hold it while riding Pedro?” Then Lewy would grin, showing his full set of baby teeth with a few missing, when I handed him the tiny orange and yellow insect. Then for the rest of his lesson, he would stay as quiet as a mouse.

Incidentally, the people that I volunteer with are like my second family. They have been with me for as long as I can remember and have been there for me through thick and thin, long lazy days and through exciting eventful moments. The owner of the farm, Mrs. Amy Baird, would have to be one of the most important people in my life. Not only have I known her since arriving at the farm, she is also my best friend and second mother. It also helps that she is a very close friend with my mother. She has taught me the art of guiding the physical and mentally disabled, has taught me all about horses and has even given me horseback riding lessons. Granted this, I would also never forget my farm friends, the ones that I have the most in common with. All of them are like my own sisters.
A typical Saturday would be all of us assisting Mrs. Amy with the classes. I would sometimes work with Stormy, a paint, and rider Christina. Christina would have to be our programs most successful student. When she first began taking lessons, she could barely walk and had to use leg-braces to do so. Today, she doesn’t have to use them anymore and she is so good at riding that she’s even better than me! She is one of my best friends and I am proud of her more than anybody. Some days, Stormy would misbehave, but I know not to be afraid because Christina is a true cowgirl. She has taken major bucks from another horse, Zippy who is a Dun Quarter horse with a major teen-attitude. Not once did Christina fall off! This is quite a miracle because that horse can buck! Take it from me who has been at a receiving end of one of Zippy’s bucks, and trust me, you don’t want to either!

Consequently, when I glimpse past the presence and into the future, what do I see? I see myself helping those in need. Guiding the autistic, physically and mentally disabled and giving them hope. Giving them something to believe in and hold onto when it seems like all is lost. Most importantly, helping them make a special friendship along the way, then imagining their virtuous smiles on their innocent faces when they accomplished something that might be so little at the time but significant in the future makes it all worthwhile. There’s not a thing on this planet I wouldn’t do to see that.

Horses mean so much to me, but what means more to me is helping the disabled, and being rewarded when they improve and get better. Theres nothing I would do to see that and that is why I wrote this memoir.