School Dances | Teen Ink

School Dances

January 9, 2013
By MissXiow BRONZE, Charlotte, North Carolina
MissXiow BRONZE, Charlotte, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The first dance I went to was the Homecoming dance of the years 2011-2012. It took place in a gymnasium in Charlotte, North Carolina. It was autumn and the trees were turning and the air was getting colder. It was in the month of October, breast cancer awareness month, and even though it was old, Ke$ha's song Tik Tok was still popular. I was single, but I wanted to be, and I had decided to attend the dance. I had hopes that I would see someone I knew, a friend. I looked very different then, I had platinum blonde hair, instead of a normal dirty blonde. I wore a strapless blue dress with black lace on the torso. To go with the dress, I wore a small black belt with a crystal embellishment in the middle. My black heels were forgotten when I arrived. When I got there I didn't see anyone I recognized, and I got a little worried. The decorations in the halls were subpar, at best. Purple streamers and balloons lined the walls. The gymnasium had strobe lights and colored lights and I hoped no one had epilepsy. What had used to be the gym floor now had a black covering on it and a DJ stand was set up at the front, music piercing my ears. I looked around and saw a few familiar faces, then I saw my friend. She is a little shorter than me and had red underneath her hair. I could tell she felt the rhythm of the music in her body, as her body moved smoothly and coasted along to the song. Even though I saw passion in her dance, I also saw something I did not enjoy. Her dancing was scandalous, just like those surrounding her, but I decided to stay with her. I realized something very important that day, I. Can't. Dance.

"Come on," She screamed over the music, "dance with us!"

"I can't"

"No one can see you!" She yelled, blissfully unaware of how raunchy she was dancing. I glanced around and tried to blend in. But the "dancing" that was going on was a mixture of grinding and jumping. Guys would come up and ask if I wanted to dance, but what I heard was Can I rub my penis all over your butt? It was disgusting! I couldn't stand the environment! Sweat was in the air and everyone was going at it like animals. I looked over to a group of girls which had formed a grinding train and were acting like common whores to show off to guys. It smelled like desperation. I was scarred. School dancing is so inappropriate. I am not okay with that. I thought it was disgusting and so unlady-like. All those girls should be ashamed of themselves! I bet they would've acted a lot different if their parents were there. I found the whole thing uncomfortable and I have many qualms about school dances.


The author's comments:
I will never go to another school dance after this. I believe that parents need to understand what happens at these kinds of things, because it's not fair that I don't get to participate in school dance due to it's uncomfortable environment.