Life as Sherlock | Teen Ink

Life as Sherlock

By alldaytp BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin
alldaytp BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin

Let's go outside. "Sherlock let’s go outside," my daddy says. I pop out of bed and I stretch. Oh boy, I get to spend time with my family. Oh how I love my family. My Daddy opens the door and away we go.

“I guess it’s time to, SQUIRREL! I’m going get him someday. I’ve chased him up a tree. Nowhere for him to go now. It’s getting cold out here. Time to do my duties so I can get back in the house and spend time with my family. Oh how I love my family. I would do anything for them. In my family I have Daddy, Mommy, Tanner and Tyler. They love me very much. I am a lucky dog.

I give one holler and Daddy is there to let me in. Oh how I hope I get a treat this time. Daddy is reaching into the jar. YES! SCORE! I got a treat! Oh how I love treats. I take it and run to the middle of our living room floor to devour it.

Just as I finish my treat, Daddy gives me a pat on the head and says “Have a good day Sherlock. I’ll be home tonight”.

I wag my tail and can’t wait for him to come back home. With the goodbyes being said, I better go snuggle with Mommy until it’s time to wake up Tanner and Tyler.

Mommy moves her foot,. “How long have I been sleeping?” I hurry up and check on everyone in the house. Oh yes, Daddy is off to work, Tanner is in the shower and Tyler is still sleeping. So I guess I will just go take it easy on the couch until everyone is ready for the day.
I pop up when I hear Mommy in the kitchen making food. I wonder if she’ll drop any on the floor this morning. Oh I hope so; it smells so good.

Her cooking brings Tanner and Tyler to the kitchen every time. If I sit and watch them eat, maybe they will slip me a treat. I love treats. There it is! He dropped something! I think it’s eggs, yeah it’s definitely eggs. Oh how I love eggs! I wonder if Mommy has dropped anything on the other side of the counter. I don’t smell anything though. Oh wait! I see a bit of egg! Oh that tastes so good. Then when I trotted back over to the boys. Then Tanner and I make sudden eye contact! I know what that means! As Tanner slips me a small piece of sausage Tyler also sneaks me a piece of egg! Oh how I know this day is going to be a great day! I love Tanner and Tyler so much!

Now that they’re done eating I see that they’re putting their shoes on. I hope that I get to go with! Maybe we are going on a walk! Or maybe to the baseball field to play fetch! Or maybe to the park! Then Mommy says the horrible word “Kennel”. Then my heart drops, I never want to go to the kennel. It makes me feel worthless and unneeded. All I want to do is to run around, play fetch, and maybe if we’re lucky chase a squirrel. But now I see that Tanner is grabbing a treat! All bad things about the kennel vanish from my mind. All I need to do to get that treat is to go and sit in the kennel and it’s all mine. So I sprint downstairs and plop my bottom on my blankets in the kennel. Now Tanner reaches his hand in the kennel and sets the treat in my mouth. Oh, it tastes so good! I think its turkey flavored, wait, no, it’s definitely chicken flavored. I love chicken flavored. Now I hear Tanner say Goodbye. And the lights turn off. It’s complete darkness. I can see nothing. I start to think, what if they never come back? What if I stay here for the rest of my doggy years! What am I thinking, they always come back, I know they will. After a while I hear a noise coming from upstairs! Could it be! I think it’s Mommy! I yell for her to come and save me from this cruel kennel! I yell and yell, but no response. Oh it must have just been Mr. Wears, the mail man. I realize that if I fall asleep that time will pass quicker than if I just sit here and do nothing. So I decide to take a nap.

Right as I’m just about ready to fall asleep I hear Tyler run downstairs and I pop up and my tail starts wagging. Oh I can’t wait to give him a kiss. I missed him so much. I greet Tyler and then I remember that Mommy must be home too. I sprint up to Mommy! I jump and jump and jump, and then my tail begins to wag uncontrollably. I tell them how I missed them and how I thought that they would never come back, but then that I thought about it again and knew that they would come. Tyler says the magic words. “Let’s go outside Sherlock”! I run to the door. My tail keeps wagging. Tyler can’t open that door fast enough. I start thinking about that squirrel. I bolt out the door and run to the tree. I don’t see the squirrel, but I see a bird. I run and jump, but the bird is gone. Then I remember, Tyler is here. I sprint to Tyler and start to play. I run and get my ball. I bring the ball to Tyler and he throws it. I run and fetch the ball for Tyler. I love this game. After we play catch for a while, Tyler says it’s time to go back into the house. After all this excitement of Tyler and Mommy coming home, I think it’s time to relax and watch TV with Tyler. I love snuggling next to Tyler. After a while Daddy gets home and I greet him too. Now we’re just missing Tanner and then the whole family is here.

Today Daddy is especially excited, but I’m not sure why yet. Then the I hear the w word. It might be my favorite word in the whole wide world. The “w” word makes my tail shake like no tomorrow! I’m overjoyed by the word walk. Daddy have to wait for Daddy to hurry up and catch up with me. Daddy is so incredibly slow compared to me. I’m always ahead of him. I just want to run with nothing holding me back. Wait, what's that I see up in the distance? No way, it can’t be, but it is, it’s a bunny! I only see these once in a while. They’re extremely rare. I take off running, but I’m yanked back by Daddy’s leash! I know I could’ve had this one I just know it! 100% sure this time! I will get him sometime maybe not today, but I will get him. As we continue our walk. I see another dog ahead of us! It’s Killer and his owner! “Hello Killer! How are you today on this fine afternoon?” I say. Then Killer responds
“Oh I’m just doing mighty fine!” Right as I’m about to reply I’m yanked back by Daddy! I don’t get it! They can talk and talk and talk to other walkers, but when I try to make a decent conversation with another dog I am yanked back and we just keep going on our way. I mean I want to be a social butterfly too! After I forgive Daddy for how he pulled me away from my friend I realize that we’re turning into our driveway! What! That seemed like the shortest walk we’ve ever taken, oh well it was fun while it lasted.

When I walk inside I’m greeted by Tanner! I’ve missed him so so much! As I’m greeted by Tanner I also realize that dinner is ready. It smells like homemade pizza! My favorite! Well I guess whatever is on the table is my favorite, I eat it all. At once I rush into the kitchen to inspect the area for scraps. So far nothing, wait, Mommy is slipping me a pepperoni. Oh it’s greasy goodness taste so good! I need more! I sit and stare at Mommy as she works in the kitchen, it doesn't work this time. I guess I will go take a nap on the couch and watch TV with the boys. The smell of the pepperoni is killing me; I want another one so bad. I trot back into the kitchen to try my luck, but still she just looks at me. Then she says
“No Sherlock, maybe after supper if there are any leftovers”. I trot back and lay by the boys.

Then the magic words “Supper’s ready!” are spoken. Everyone hops up, but I’m always the first one to the dinner table. Once they’re done praying the feast begins. Everyone is talking and eating and having a good family meal. I pace and scan the floor for scraps. Then when everyone is done Mommy looks down at me and says “Looks like there aren't any scraps tonight buddy, sorry.” I’m devastated. I guess it’s just kibbles for me tonight. That’s ok. I will just go play with my toys. I love my toys. As I am playing, the boys start playing fetch with me.
I have the best family in the world. After we play for a while, Mommy tells the boys that it is time to start their homework. This will give me some time to take a quick nap. I jump up into the chair with Mommy and close my eyes. I love snuggling next to Mommy. Before I know it, Daddy is asking me if I want to go outside. I love to go outside. I jump up and run to the door. I am wondering about that squirrel. I am hoping to get him this time. Daddy finally gets the door open and I dash to the tree. I chase the squirrel around the tree, and then he sprints up the tree. He got away again. But it was fun. Oh how I love my backyard. I better get my duties taken care of so I can go back into the house and snuggle down for the evening with my family. As Daddy and I make our way into the house I am hoping for another treat. Huh! He’s reaching into the jar, what's that he has! A treat! As he sits on the ground I lunge at it engulf it. Oh it tastes so heavenly. I hear the TV in Mommy’s room! As I run and hop on the bed she’s sitting there on her phone. Then she tells me “Good boy Sherlock!” As I roll over to scratch my back she starts to rub my belly! Oh my this feels so good! As she continues, I feel my eyes start to get weaker and weaker.
Then, I’m out. I’m dreaming of dancing treats! They’re even bigger than me! Now they’re about to rub my belly!

“Sherlock! Let’s go outside” then I wake up to hear Daddy asking me to go outside. Huh! Another day with my family! Oh how I love my family.

grabs my harness and leash. I can’t sit still, I am so excited. Daddy finally gets the harness on me and we are off. I start to bolt off but soon after that get a big jolt that I need to stop. I can’t run. I

This is a day in the life of my dog, Sherlock. He's a spotted black and white cockapoo. He's maybe my best friend.

ALLDAYTP said...
Great story!