My parents are insane | Teen Ink

My parents are insane

December 17, 2012
By TheNovelator BRONZE, Merritt Island, Florida
TheNovelator BRONZE, Merritt Island, Florida
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

This I believe that my parents are insane. I am an average high school student, with two parents who teach college classes. There has always been an expectation for me to get good grades and do well in school, even though under the strict schedule of the public schools of Florida it is hard for me to succeed in any way, shape, or form. They wake me up every day at 7 in the morning and I don’t get home until 4. That is 9 hours every day, 5 days a week, early in the morning.

I am the kind of person who wakes up in the morning and their hair is a mess, their eyes are completely glazed over, and takes 20 minutes to make breakfast. Needless to say, I am not a “morning person” and I don’t do well in any of my classes that I am forced to, by law, attend before 12 in the afternoon. After I finally endure all of my high school classes, I come home and I am then forced to work on Florida Virtual School, homework, and study guides for at least 4 hours every day by my parents. They offer me incentives to get good grades, such as getting paid 100 dollars if I get all As and Bs, but they don’t understand. I don’t want money, I want a normal kid life where I can come home and play video games or go fishing.

I am constantly grounded because of my grades even though I put in a lot of effort. My parents are constantly yelling at me about how I need to do better in school and put more effort and time into my schoolwork. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Even though I vary my study and homework methods, nothing seems to work. Meanwhile, my parents are constantly nagging and pressuring me to do better in school, and not changing what they are doing, and then blaming the results on me.

I’m just an average student who is pressured and nagged about his schoolwork constantly. My parents do the same thing over and over, and they still expect something to change. My parents are, by definition, insane.


The author's comments:
True story