Unknown Grace | Teen Ink

Unknown Grace

By Marlene273120 SILVER, Lincoln, Nebraska
Marlene273120 SILVER, Lincoln, Nebraska

"Being elite isn't everything, what you are already is all that you need to be successful"

By Marlene Rashidi

I remember as a little girl, my mom would always say;"It's by grace you're here, my dear. I was born in war, when my peace was just through the walls. The gun shots were quicker than diarrhea. The bombs that were thrown were louder than my heart beat. I was just an innocent girl, carried by a woman who didn't let go of my, when other threw their own away. As I grew older, hope still was nowhere to be found. Wishing that God should take me any minute from now. Living on a hard bread and salted water has the main meal everyday wasn't just the kind on life anyone would want. Life in the old Zimbabwean villages with less hope. My eyes have seen more than human blood pouring down the streets of Durban South Africa. Dreaming a dream within a dream that never comes to reality. Hearing my dad and mom argue about how they can give a better future and how they can provide food for us on the table when jobs where nowhere to be found in an unfamiliar country. Living a life where agony was the shadow holding you back from your happiness. All I wanted was the world's war to break a fall and people's pain transformed into joy. All I wanted was to sit down in a room knowing that I'm being educated, instead of being hit everyday for being late to school when walking five miles with no shoes on; on a hard rock Zimbabwean streets. I just wanted to learn and be successful. Glories Pity, Unknown Grace. My life was life a lonely and abandoned bayou, my hope was like a heart in winter that has no warm comforts. My story, I hug. Unknown Grace, Unknown Pity. Lord I lay my in thy hands.I remember as a little girl, my mom would always say;"It's by grace you're here, my dear. I was born in war, when my peace was just through the walls. The gun shots were quicker than diarrhea. The bombs that were thrown were louder than my heart beat. I was just an innocent girl, carried by a woman who didn't let go of my, when other threw their own away. As I grew older, hope still was nowhere to be found. Wishing that God should take me any minute from now. Living on a hard bread and salted water has the main meal everyday wasn't just the kind on life anyone would want. Life in the old Zimbabwean villages with less hope. My eyes have seen more than human blood pouring down the streets of Durban South Africa. Dreaming a dream within a dream that never comes to reality. Hearing my dad and mom argue about how they can give a better future and how they can provide food for us on the table when jobs where nowhere to be found in an unfamiliar country. Living a life where agony was the shadow holding you back from your happiness. All I wanted was the world's war to break a fall and people's pain transformed into joy. All I wanted was to sit down in a room knowing that I'm being educated, instead of being hit everyday for being late to school when walking five miles with no shoes on; on a hard rock Zimbabwean streets. I just wanted to learn and be successful. Glories Pity, Unknown Grace. My life was life a lonely and abandoned bayou, my hope was like a heart in winter that has no warm comforts. My story, I hug. Unknown Grace, Unknown Pity. Lord I lay my in thy hands.I remember as a little girl, my mom would always say;"It's by grace you're here, my dear. I was born in war, when my peace was just through the walls. The gun shots were quicker than diarrhea. The bombs that were thrown were louder than my heart beat. I was just an innocent girl, carried by a woman who didn't let go of my, when other threw their own away. As I grew older, hope still was nowhere to be found. Wishing that God should take me any minute from now. Living on a hard bread and salted water has the main meal everyday wasn't just the kind on life anyone would want. Life in the old Zimbabwean villages with less hope. My eyes have seen more than human blood pouring down the streets of Durban South Africa. Dreaming a dream within a dream that never comes to reality. Hearing my dad and mom argue about how they can give a better future and how they can provide food for us on the table when jobs where nowhere to be found in an unfamiliar country. Living a life where agony was the shadow holding you back from your happiness. All I wanted was the world's war to break a fall and people's pain transformed into joy. All I wanted was to sit down in a room knowing that I'm being educated, instead of being hit everyday for being late to school when walking five miles with no shoes on; on a hard rock Zimbabwean streets. I just wanted to learn and be successful. Glories Pity, Unknown Grace. My life was life a lonely and abandoned bayou, my hope was like a heart in winter that has no warm comforts. My story, I hug. Unknown Grace, Unknown Pity. Lord I lay my in thy hands.

This piece, I share with my heart crying within. It's me, my story that I hug.