Buddy | Teen Ink

Buddy

By CharlieCarter BRONZE, Otis, Maine
CharlieCarter BRONZE, Otis, Maine

"One day your life will flash before your eyes, make sure it's worth watching"

Buddy is my dog. No he is not just my dog he is my best friend that I will have forever in my heart even if he is not with me. Even though he will live to be one hundred years old.

Buddy is a dog that has lots of problems, but is loved very much. You see Buddy is both diabetic and blind. My family and I try very hard to help him through these rough times. At first my whole family had no idea how to take care of a blind dog in the house. But he has adapted very well for being blind. He has memorized the entire house and is very good at going up and down the stairs without having any trouble. I have no idea how he does it. I mean I have trouble just going up and down the stairs with my eyes open! But he is a survivor threw it all.

Buddy means the world to me. Ever since he was a little puppy and I was only 3 years old we have been together our whole life’s. It’s like growing up with a younger brother only he is my doggy. He is part of the family if you really think about it. He is younger than me and is full of energy. He gets fed and we give him a bath. He is a official part of the Carter Family.

Buddy understands me as much as I do myself. He can tell if something bad has happened. Whenever I have troubles or start crying he always knows and runs into the room and puts his head right on my legs and starts whining at me saying “Please don’t cry.” And for some reason I understand him. I know when he wants something or trying to tell me something. Have you ever felt like you and your dog have a special connection that only you can understand. I know I do. I know it sounds really stupid but I can understand him. And I have no clue what I would do without him.

I remember when Hailee, Ashlee, and I all came home from school and let Buddy and Jake out of the the kennel. Only buddy didn’t come out. When Hailee tried to go in to get him. He would bare his white teeth at us and make a low rumble from his throat. I started to get freaked out. Bud made his blond golden coat stand up. His lab like muzzle opening to let out a bark every now and then. Whenever we moved, his eyes wouldn’t follow us. I didn’t understand what was going on. Soon after my father came home, we discovered that Buddy had gone blind.

You would think by now that we would put him down but buddy boy is a fighter and a fighter he will be for a long time. I believe that with the love that my family and other families give him he will last to be 15 years old (dog years 105.) You want to know a secret. We named buddy, because our family and Jake (our other dog) needed a friend we needed someone or something to help us through a rough time. So you may look at buddy as just a dog while I look at him as a miracle to my family and a buddy to me.

In memory of Buddy Carter who died January 7, 2011.

Buddy was a Lab/Shepard mix I have had him since I was 2 years old. I can't remember a day without him until now. I miss him a lot and hope the best for him.