Treasure the Moments You Have | Teen Ink

Treasure the Moments You Have

December 24, 2011
By Carebear123 SILVER, Bronx, New York
Carebear123 SILVER, Bronx, New York
6 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Its easier to forget then to remember


My dad is in the Chesapeake Bay in Virginia Beach with my dog, R.C., whose usual black shiny coat is sopping wet from trying to swim to my dad. It was the first time we brought her out of the state of New York, and she was in utter bliss because of this. She was in a new environment that she had never seen or smelled before making her happy. This was her first time swimming in water causing her to be scared and excited at the same time. Since she was three at the time of this picture, she was way past her puppy days. Though she was old, she still played like a three-month old puppy with the curiosity and innocence. She was always getting in trouble by either trying to chase a skunk that could make her stink or a squirrel that could harm. She did these things because she did not know what it was or wanted to become friends with it. At times I thought of R.C. as a fearless dog, but that was untrue in the bay, which is seen in the picture. She needs the encouragement of my dad to get out of the shallow end of the bay. Despite the fact that its in her internal instincts to know how to swim, she’s still having trouble getting over not being able to touch the ground beneath her. She’s not paddling like other dogs would but rather jumping over the low waves to get to my dad. When I think back to that moment it makes me remember how children are oblivious to the mayhem and turmoil of the world. Seeing my dog like this makes me want to be her, so I don’t have to worry about anything except having fun. Just the thought of being as naïve as a little kid and believing in Santa or the Tooth Fairy brings me back to when I was young. Sometimes I wish I could go back in time and cherish my carefree childhood. Unfortunately that time has past and I didn’t take full advantage of the moments I was given. Maybe one day I will feel that same raw joy my dog does in the picture but for now I am stuck going to school and doing homework. My dad, dog, and I only stayed a week in Virginia Beach, but it was the most magnificent week ever and showed me to treasure the moments you have when you’re a child.