Write Words | Teen Ink

Write Words

By Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other
Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other

"Everything's a triangle." ~ My mother

"Write what you love, write what you care about, because sometimes, it's the easiest way to be heard."

Words will not come. I sit here staring at the majority of the page: a daunting white space.

I have twenty-one, now twenty-three, words, and it is not enough.

I want it to fill up my vision, and I want it to do so now. Yet words will not come, and so I write.

Q, W, E, R, T, Y, U… The order of the keyboard has always been so strange to me. I could never come to fully understand why they should be placed in such a way.

On a sheet I have next to me, I scribble a heart, then another, then another… The page is filled with hearts, but the one that is significant is still not halfway filled.

There is a list next to me. It contains 5000 words, good words, words to be known for the SAT.

But none are good enough. It would not make the story if I typed them all onto this page. So I ignore it, ignore those words that tell me I am not even close to being done.

I am a procrastinator.

I am a digresser.

I am a wordless, digressing procrastinator.

It seems right to write the name. It is what I am, for the story will not come and the words will not flow.

They should write themselves for me. I am only at 228, now 230 words, should I count numbers as words.

Really, they are not named words. Should three numbers combining to become one number, like the 2, 2, and 8 combination—should that be sufficient to say they are three numbers? Three words? Or, together as 228, would it only be one?

These questions do not help.

They don’t do a good job of filling the page! I have not gone three quarters! Even a page would suffice! Yet I don’t have my story. Just a girl’s thoughts.

Just thoughts.

Thoughts are not actions… Should a story not have the actions to be a story? It should. It would have the variety and the suspense and the captivation for a reader…

A reader would read and be boggled by the many things one can think of when aiming for another accomplishment.

The story would be blank of what they expect…

I should be ashamed of the ongoing ranting!

I should be embarrassed that I would say such atrocities!

I should be paying attention to the task at hand!

But I am still as I said I was: a wordless, digressing procrastinator.

And I have not come up with an idea or a character or an event… I have not thought of a setting or a time or a location… I have but thoughts.

And now I have filled up the entire page.

Have you ever had that moment where you're trying hard to write something, but because you can't think of anything, you kind of think of everything but what you're trying to do? Well, here's a look into what happens to me when I'm attempting to concentrate. (And failing)

KatsK DIAMOND said...
KatsK DIAMOND, Saint Paul, Minnesota

Being inexhaustible, life and nature are a constant stimulus for a creative mind.
~Hans Hofmann
You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
~Ray Bradbury

This is perfect. I'm procrastinating right now; I need to write 2,000 words  to be on track for the novel I'm writing, and it's just not coming! I hate writer's block, as well as my characters. I hope it gets better.

dancemaniac GOLD, Mansfield, Texas
great job! totally relatable(:

NinjaGirl BRONZE, Valley City, North Dakota

The only thing holding us back in life is our desire to stay where we are and not venture further.
~Some random person on the Internet :P

This is so relatable! I too have issues with writers' block sometimes... I think we all do, actually. Great job!

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Great job writing about writer's block!  Excellent work, once again! :)

MorenSore SILVER, Albuquerque, New Mexico

"Liberty is not the power of doing what we like, but the right of being able to do what we ought."
~Lord Acton

You just put writers block in into words. Those are the literal feelings of writers block.