For So Long | Teen Ink

For So Long

By Daydreamer14 PLATINUM, Norman, Oklahoma
Daydreamer14 PLATINUM, Norman, Oklahoma

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." - John Lennon

April 25th, 2008 started out a great day. My Mom and Dad were at a school event with Abigail. I was home alone, eating pizza, watching TV. Basically just being lazy. My Dad said it’d be about 2 hours before they would be back. It was only an hour after they left when my Mom, Abigail, and Dad all walked in. Or should I say ran. My little sister said nothing, but went straight to her room. My Dad briskly paced the floor of the living room. His eyes were big. He looked scared. My Mom followed behind. She looked as if she was about to cry. “What’s going on?” I asked. “Sarah’s in the hospital.” My Dad answered. My heart sank. The tears from my Mom’s eyes fell. “You and Abigail are going to sleepover at Megan’s house while we go see her.” I dragged myself to my room and packed. I wanted to go with them. They said I couldn’t. In no time, Rhonda picked us up and we drove to her house. Before we left, my Mom promised she would call to inform us on the details. It was late; she never called me so I reached her. She claimed everything was all right, that Sarah was doing well. The despondency in her voice brought forth another answer.
I was tired the next morning. It was early and I didn’t get much sleep the night before. My Dad was in the car and my Mom came to the door. Her face was red. She had obviously been crying. She didn’t say much and we quickly left and arrived back home. I was about to go to my room but my Dad stopped me, “Would you guys take a seat for a second? There’s something we need to tell you.” Abigail and I dropped our bags. We sat on the couch. My hands were shaking. “Girl’s,” My Dad paused as he began to cry. “Sarah’s dead.”
It was a car-wreck. Joe, Sarah’s boyfriend was driving. I met him several weeks before the accident. He was very nice. Despite a few injuries, Joe was okay. Sarah was sitting in the passenger seat. Right where the other car hit. She wasn’t wearing her seat belt, but they said the crash would have been fatal anyway. My sister was only 26 years old. When the ambulance brought her to the hospital, she was just unconscious. Later that night, she stopped breathing.
Two years ago, on April 25th at around 4:00 in the afternoon I was ready to say I had a great day. It wasn’t until the next morning that I realized I spoke too soon.

This is part of a three vignette memoir. For the assignment, we were supposed to write in Hemingway's style. I got a perfect grade back so I guess it's good.

Cathys26 BRONZE, London, Other

" a diamond is not just crystal in form it is a very little precious piece of beauty put together just like ones friendship'

Your story highlights the importance of looking after one's self and looking after time.

It's a very heart filling story.