Tears of Laughter | Teen Ink

Tears of Laughter

February 23, 2010
By Acalleq PLATINUM, Togiak, Alaska
Acalleq PLATINUM, Togiak, Alaska
22 articles 5 photos 146 comments

Favorite Quote:
you never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have


“Rose! Cook the bacon. Momma come,” Dad calls from the kitchen/living room. I sigh in annoyance. Wish he’d stop ordering us around. Sluggishly I leave my warm bed forcing myself to walk barefoot into the kitchen/living room. I go unnoticed as I bang pots and pans sighing periodically. What, am I invisible? I turn toward my family huddled around the table. Mom and dad sit closely together talking in their “serious” voices while both elder sisters hover nearby listening intently. “What’s going on?” I ask. My sister spares me a glance then looks away not answering. “Fine, not interested anyway,” I say trying to hide the sting of being ignored. My sister, the eldest, almost always had a smile or joke ready. She isn’t smiling now I notice. No one is smiling actually. I focus on what they’re all talking about to understand the glum expressions. “Don’t know what we’re gonna do. This isn’t something we can get out of.” Dad says seriously. Mom stares back saying nothing in response. Sighing tiredly dad gets up gathering envelops and papers. “How could you get sued?” Mom says angrily. Sued? What the heck! I turn my back entirely ignoring the bacon. Why are we getting sued? I quietly listening to them argue. I turn my head studying each face I love, listening as the glum conversation get more depressed by the minute. Turning back to the sizzling bacon I search for something to say to lighten the mood. Smiling I turn to say in a drawl, “We’re gonna lose the farm? What’ll happen to our cow Betsy?” They all stare in confusion then throw back their heads in laughter. Tears running down their faces. “That was random, why the hell did you get that from?” Smiling I shrug turning back to the sizzling bacon. When I’m done we all sit at the table to eat, talking and laughing all the while. Even if we were worried we all knew that if we did get sued we’d still have each other and my weird sense of humor. And if you are worried, don’t. No one knows if life will always be fair but we can always laugh through our tears.


The author's comments:
if you think like me this is a little choppy, then maybe you'd agree that behind all the grammer the story is a little inspiring and worth waiting out the hard times. maybe i'm not destined to become a author but i do know that some of my memories are worth telling. enjoy!