They All Hate Me | Teen Ink

They All Hate Me

February 20, 2010
By magic-esi PLATINUM, Hyde Park, New York
magic-esi PLATINUM, Hyde Park, New York
27 articles 0 photos 231 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light."


“You have received a 2 out of 5 star rating.” “Your article has 0 comments.” The cold words are flat on the screen. I sigh and lean backward onto the hard wood of the study hall bleachers.

I’m a loser, eh? I think as I silently glare at all the students whose hate for me floats invisible over all our heads. I especially glare at the girl five feet to my right who is flirting with the guy I love. He’s flirting right back, too. He hates me. He hates my friends.

They all hate me. That girl who tells me how ugly I am in the locker room. That girl who rolls her eyes at all the right answers I feed her in algebra. That girl who used to be friends with me, but abandoned me when she realized how nerdy I was. Those students; they all hate me. My friends are merely backup; the kindest girls in the school who thought they might do me a charitable favor, but all secretly hate me.

They all hate me. Even when I escaped into writing, the thing I love, and was brave enough to share it online, no one sees it. I thought I had a talent: me, the ugly nerdy useless girl- but I thought I had something. The ugly, nerdy, useless girl who was talented at writing? No. Much, much more talented writers ignore the novel I’ve worked so hard on; the novel I’ve spent hours on, the novel I’ve grown to love. If they don’t ignore it, they do a charitable service to give it a sadly truthful and truthfully low rating, or mumble a ‘Cool’ or ‘Nice’.

And yet I still sit up at nights, music deemed uncool blasting from my speakers, hunched over my laptop, battling my antagonists and cheering on my main characters. Sometimes I know that they all hate me; I know I’m all alone. I picture the world on my shoulders- and then I picture myself lifting it into the air. All those standing below me, those who hated me, staring as they drop their own tiny loads. I am not alone. So my classmates hate me, so my crush hates me, so the entire online writing community hates me. I have my characters. And they will help me lift the world.


The author's comments:
Doesn't the article say it?