Waiting At the Library | Teen Ink

Waiting At the Library

By magic-esi PLATINUM, Hyde Park, New York
magic-esi PLATINUM, Hyde Park, New York

"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light."

As a little kid, I loved candy. Loved slowly unwrapping silver tinfoil and colorful plastic wrappers to unearth the sweets below. I loved the first bite, the chocolaty goodness overwhelming my taste buds or the tangy fruitiness of a piece of taffy making me enjoy the day a little more. I loved the feeling in my fingers when I dipped them into a bowl of Halloween candy and pulled out my favorite; and the feeling of jellybeans and M&Ms slipping through my fingers as I tried to choose a favorite flavor. The best thing about candy was, I didn’t get it every day. My parents always told us to eat healthy, so candy was a rare event for me.

When I grew older and learned how to read, books were added to the list of things I couldn’t resist. Only good books fit the requirements. When I read a fascinating series and got the next installment, I couldn’t resist the cellophane on the cover, knowing that I was the first reader of this copy- the first one to admire the cover art, to trace the title with her fingers. It was like a piece of taffy that I couldn’t eat until I got home. The cover was the wrapper. The words were the candy.

And the wait for a book to come to the library was always infuriating. A great example is the Princess Diaries. Our library didn’t provide the seventh book in the series until I requested it specially of two different librarians. I remember, coming to the library week after week, waiting for a book to be there. I couldn’t read the second book in the Percy Jackson series for six months because some idiot kept checking it out. I remember, the disappointment when I ran my fingers along the worn spines on the shelves. Percy Jackson, Greek Mythology, Rick Riordan… Oh! Oh. Not there. Again.

What does this have to do with anything? It doesn’t. It didn’t, that is, until I fell in love. I saw him every day at school, and on weekends for Hebrew school. It was addicting to see him, it was like seeing a candy bar at the store, like seeing a book in the library. But I couldn’t buy the candy, I couldn’t read the book. He didn’t want me; he wanted someone else. "The Sea of Monsters is checked out, hon, sorry. We’ll tell you if they’ve returned it yet."

This is a simple story which involves the elements of good books, chocolate, and love- the three things that I crave but cannot have.

justone said...
I laughed at the ending line, and loved it! 5 stars :)

forgottenpenname GOLD, Troy, Michigan

"Carpe diem."

I never really got into candy, but I've always loved books (obviously). And I've felt the same way about guys, too.

Great writing! : ]

magic-esi PLATINUM, Hyde Park, New York

The part about the Sea of Monsters is true.

magic-esi PLATINUM, Hyde Park, New York

Of course, just because I poured out my heart in it doesn't mean all of it is necessarily entirely true. Some of it could be based off of fiction. I tend to do that in nonfiction.

Lola_Sveroski, Manschef, Ohio

I am an author. Normal was out of the question by the age of three.

I really liked it... Very well written. I did so enjoy your comparison of candy to books. I do hate the feeling that you're going to have to wait and wait for the book you so desire. Just can't wait 'til the Kane Chronicles (May fourth) and the next Camp Half-Blood series (September). Ah, the bitter suspense.

magic-esi PLATINUM, Hyde Park, New York

Wow. How sad is it that I pour out my heart through the thing I love to do, writing, and no one takes a second glance at it. Just goes to show. I'm a loser, eh?