Memories of Snowflakes | Teen Ink

Memories of Snowflakes

By goddess_of_the_moon_123 SILVER, Beaverdam, Virginia
goddess_of_the_moon_123 SILVER, Beaverdam, Virginia

'To unpath'd waters, undream'd shores' ~ William Shakespeare, A Winter's Tale

I was six, and it was the first time I had ever seen snow. I laughed and ate it and made snow angels—angels for you, because you collected them. Our power was out for a week, but I barely noticed—because this was a magical place: a place full of love, and laughter, and endless white.

I was nine, and it was my first winter without a Santa Claus. But for the younger cousins, I pretended. I made cookies with you, and left them out; they were gone in the morning. The little ones screamed and laughed over the miracle, and we just smiled: we were happy with our secret, their magic.

I was ten, and I was at your house for the holidays. All of my cousins were there too, and my aunts and uncles; the house was full to bursting. We all got ready for bed on Christmas Eve, and when I looked outside, snow was falling. We woke up, and the world was covered—my first White Christmas. Everyone piled outside, and we ran through the powder, smacking each other with well-packed snow. I laughed and helped to make three beautiful snowmen; by the time they were done, I couldn’t feel my fingers. I put my scarf around the smallest one, to keep it warm. You smiled as I trudged in, and made me hot cocoa—you warmed me to the core.

I was twelve, and we were opening presents on Christmas morning. We were all crammed into your living room, and the fire was burning; the people on the hearth joked about roasting buns. We opened presents youngest to oldest, the way we always have. I was in the middle, and for my gift, you gave me a signed copy of my favorite book—but it was the second in the series. I laughed because I didn’t care and because this might be the Best Christmas Ever.

*********

I’m 15 now, and I think that this is the first winter I’ve ever been sad. Mom cries and says we should visit you, say we love you. There might not be another winter. I wonder about winters without you; I wonder if where you’ll be, the winter is always filled with snow.

Just.A.Dream SILVER, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin

Part of the J7X team. :)

Awe, it's so sweet how you wrote it for your grandmother.

I love how it takes you from the past slowly to the future.

You can definitely tell it comes straight from the heart. <33

Lost-In-Life GOLD, Whitby, Other

It's never to late, if it weren't for the last minute many things would never get done!

A beautiful memory. Some pieces don't give you enough information, making you confused, and some pieces give you too much information. But this piece gives you just the write amount. You're not left going "What?" there's room to infer. Love it.

xhiddeninsomniax SILVER, North Syracuse, New York
Very good writing and you can tel that every word of it came straight from you heart. It was well written and I think many people could relate to your writing.

doxie lover said...
I loved how you wove in the snow and memories of loved ones. I really like how your style leaves us wanting to read more.

This was written about my grandmother. She is one of the strongest people I know, and she has pancreatic cancer. Because she's such a vital part of my extended family it's been really hard on all of us, around the holidays especially. At the moment, we're just enjoying the time we have and hoping for more.

alchive PLATINUM, Fort Worth, Texas

The best cure for writer's block is...to write

I really like this piece. And I think it's easy to build a connection with the person. Who are you talking about? The way you have it, we can put in our own person to match with our own memories, but I wonder...

NorthernWriter, Fargo, North Dakota

"Only dead fish swim with the stream"

this is really sweet and sad. it shows true family love and it's just pretty and cozy with the snow in it. I really liked this! good job! no nonsense with bad grammar or cheap lines...keep up the good work!

blanking_out GOLD, Bonita Springs, Florida

Follow the leader, but not too close, just in case they fall.

ooo. the fact that this is a real story makes it all the more intriguing. awesome job!!:)

mercantile BRONZE, New Gloucester, Maine
i love this...it's very beautiful and sad. you have a strong voice. i loved the part about collecting angels

MayaElyashiv PLATINUM, Ramat Hasharon, Other
Very sad...I like how a lot is inferred by the reader, you don't say a lot straight out. It can mean so many different things, which I think is a good thing.