My Belief in Honesty | Teen Ink

My Belief in Honesty

I believe in being honest. Honesty can shape and affect your entire life. The definition of being honest is “free of deceit and untruthfulness; sincere.” This means telling the truth in what you say. Honesty is a fundamental virtue that strengthens trust, integrity, and personal and professional relationships. I developed this belief because of my own mistakes and also the people that I’ve interacted with as well. When I found out about their dishonesty, it hurt me deeply.

My relationship with my mother is not as strong as it should be. I hid my personal life and the daily challenges I was going through from her. This was all difficult to do because she was worried about my well-being. If I had been honest with my mother since the beginning, she could have helped me with my feelings. When I finally started being honest about what I was going through personally, she was able to help me feel better. I felt more at ease, like lying on grass in a park, staring into the sky, enjoying the sun. Being honest with my mother built up our trust and allowed me to be more open with her. I felt less stressed because I didn’t have to live with being dishonest with my own mother anymore. This made me realize that telling the truth will most likely make the situation better. Being honest will also save you from the future because lies are challenging to keep up with. It is simply less stressful to be honest and tell the truth. Depending on lies will likely catch up to you at one point.

Being lied to is also not fun at all either. At this Upward Bound program, I attempted to make a new friend but found out they were being dishonest with me the entire time. I attempted to build trust with them but they broke it all in the end. Finding out about their lies felt like running on hot coal; this experience hurt greatly. I have also been on the side of lying which hurt others. This hurt my relationships with other people because it broke the trust between us. Honesty is crucial for any relationship to work. It builds trust and connection with the other person. Honesty is another form of communication where it explains the whole story to another individual.

In conclusion, honesty is a key part of being a good and trustworthy person. It is important in all parts of life, from our relationships to jobs. Being honest can sometimes be tough and might even cause problems, but it helps build stronger connections with others and feel good about ourselves. In today’s world, where it’s easy to spread false information, sticking to the truth is more important than ever. By being honest every day, life becomes easier and relationships will be less challenging to succeed in. My experiences have led me to stick to the core belief of being honest. This is why I believe in honesty.