Letter to Future self | Teen Ink

Letter to Future self

By soumyaxx21 BRONZE, Carmel, Indiana
soumyaxx21 BRONZE, Carmel, Indiana

Dear future self,

I hope you are not too busy studying for your tests and have some time to flip through this letter. I am writing this letter while sitting in a hospital,waiting for my turn to take a vaccine and dreaming about walking through these halls, wearing a white coat and a stethoscope around my neck. I am sure that this is not only my dream but our shared dream of becoming a doctor and working hard just to see a smile on our patients faces.

Do you remember that you were around 10 years old , when you visited a hospital and felt so down looking at the helpless faces lying on their death bed's. While some were crying in vain , others were happily leaving the hospital safe and healthy. Being in a medical school requires a lot of hardwork and patience, there will be sleepless nights,countless failures, moments of confusion , but in the end, when you save an individual's life and see the smile on their faces ,the happiness of their family and tears of joy,you are going to realise that it was all worth it.

Remember the reason we chose this path was to enlighten people’s living conditions,to help the people who have limited amount of resources and cannot afford professional treatment, watching people leave the hospital satisfied and with a smile on their face, being there for the people and providing support after losing their loved ones , to make sure that everyone in this world has the access to good health and a long life. I believe that you are working hard day and night and pushing through the difficulties that you are facing.

If you ever fail in this process , remind yourself that failure is a part of life and a person can never achieve anything great in life without experiencing downfall. It makes you stronger and gives you the capability to face any kind of situation in life. Remember the words your favourite biology teacher had told you, “Keep pushing through the obstacles,the progress is never linear”. Efforts and hard work never goes unnoticed and unappreciated. Remember that you are not alone in this process and I am rooting for you. You are working towards something that will cause a beautiful impact in this world and I am really proud of how far you have come and the amount of effort you are putting towards saving others.

The challenges and hardships you are facing today will soon be transforming into joy and smiles of not only your patients, but also of your own. I look forward to addressing you as Dr Soumya the next time we talk, till then let's chase our dream together.

Regards,
Your past self.

I aspire to become a doctor one day.