The Hope Behind Their Faces | Teen Ink

The Hope Behind Their Faces

By lily2027 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
lily2027 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

The woman walked, with a passion, into the homeless shelter. With rags as clothes, happiness, and hope could be seen floating around her. I was in disbelief that someone who doesn’t have shelter, or enough food like her, could be happy. The moment she walked in, she called out to my uncle Norbert. She was a kind person and asked him how he was doing. It was unfathomable to me that she was smiling even with all her broken teeth.  Her spreading happiness was shared with the group as we said a prayer before their meal. A meal that would change many peoples’ day. This was some time back when I visited a center in St. Paul Minnesota. I met this woman who came into the center because she was experiencing homelessness. I originally went to help my uncle serve and feed the homeless. Little did I know that my view of hope could be changed. 

The day began with cutting food into portions large enough to feed a small country. The amount of tomatoes, green peppers, and onions cut up for enchiladas was immaculate. Cutting up the onions made me cry due to the stench. There were so many emotions swirling through my head. I couldn’t grasp what I was feeling. Was I crying because I was scared to see many people in a situation I had never experienced or seen, or was that just from the onions? The amount of enchiladas we made made me wonder how many people were being helped. Before, I had always donated food but had never seen the effect of the end product of the meal. 

Once the enchiladas were done and thrown into the oven; I took a peek out of the kitchen to see a line forming. This line was over a football field long, just with people waiting for food. These people were not even informed of what they were waiting for when it came to the meal. We were setting up food, coffee, and necessities for every person to be served. We took time before to say a quick prayer. The prayer was held with around ten people. These ten people may have been people of faith, or not. One kind lady had come over and started talking with my uncle Norbert. She was just content and carried around her sleeping bag. This lady had such a large heart and grabbed local newspapers for my uncle to read. I had started to realize that she was trying to give something in return for what my uncle had been doing for the past 50 years. 

The people walked through the line for food, all in different situations. Some walked with empty eyes, and some eyes full of happiness, love, and thankfulness. Several wouldn’t even walk through as they were pushed with wheelchairs. Few would make jokes that the enchiladas were going to be too spicy. Or that my hat would look great on them. These people were normal human beings, just like me. So why were they put in unfortunate situations?

As they entered the building, I began to realize that these situations didn’t define them. For most, they just needed a friend to talk to. Some said a quick “thank you” with a quiet smile. For I took that smile and thank you as a way of them saying much more. This may have been a daily routine for some people. For most, I had prepared their only meal of the day. The enchiladas were a way of filling up their skinny bodies. Watching the difference of when people walked in and when they walked out. Changed their emotions, and they became more friendly. It felt like they were different people with hope. 

That day was just another day in the cold state of Minnesota for them. Most were thankful that someone else was kind enough to provide them with food. But, they would never realize what their small actions had done to change a part of me. With their smiles and laugh and talkative personality. I could see beyond their disabilities, clothes, and dirt on their faces. They were truly just people that every day had to endure far worse than I could ever see. I didn't know how to solve their problem, so I felt powerless and compelled to help. Even if it felt like I was feeding a whole country, I only fed around 250 people. Something that came from the smiles and happiness of the people. My view of hope was completely changed by the kindness radiating off of them.