letter to past self | Teen Ink

letter to past self

May 20, 2024
By Anonymous

Dear Audrey, 

I want you to know how proud I am of you. I know right now you may feel like the world is ending and there's nothing to look forward to. High School is going to be scary but you will make it through. The years will fly by and you will look back and realize it wasn't so bad. All though these years were hard I would like to think that they formed you into the person you are today. You will make many mistakes but from them you will learn very valuable lessons. I would have never guessed my freshman year this is how I would turn out. The path of life takes you many unpredictable ways but I would like to think that's what makes life so fun. You do not need to know what you want to do just yet so don't stress out about it. You have your entire life ahead of you to figure things out. Just because I didn't end up how my freshman year self would have thought or wanted doesn't matter. Life may throw curveballs your way but you need to learn how to deflect them. If i could give you one piece of advice it would be to not worry so much. Once you get to your senior year you will realize that what you thought would be the end of the world really doesn't matter. Things change, people change, and the older you get the more you realize people really do not care about you. It's all in your head. People really are only worried about themselves. Moral of the story is that you may not think it now but you will succeed in whatever path you take. There's no need to sit there and worry about your future just live in the moment.

 

Sincerely, your future self


The author's comments:

this piece is a letter to my younger self telling myself everything's going to be okay.