Letter to My Future Self | Teen Ink

Letter to My Future Self

May 17, 2024
By polinaperin PLATINUM, Espluegues De Llobregat, Other
polinaperin PLATINUM, Espluegues De Llobregat, Other
23 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.


Dear Future Self,

I hope this letter finds you in a better place than where I am now. It's hard being sixteen and feeling so uncertain about everything. Every day is a struggle, filled with questions and doubts about the future. I often wonder if I'll ever find someone who truly understands me, someone who will love me for who I am. Right now, it feels like everyone around me is moving forward, finding love, and making their dreams come true, while I'm stuck in this endless loop of waiting and hoping.

I see my friends in relationships, some happy and some not, and I can't help but feel a pang of jealousy and fear. What if I'm destined to be alone? The thought haunts me, especially on nights like this when I'm all by myself, thinking about what could be. I pray often, asking for guidance, for a sign that there's someone out there for me. But the silence is deafening, and sometimes I feel like my prayers are just echoing back at me, unanswered.

I broke up with someone recently because I felt like it wasn't right. It was a hard decision, but I knew in my heart that it wasn't meant to be. It made me realize how much I long for a genuine connection, for someone who shares my faith and my dreams. Yet, the fear of never finding that person looms over me. What if this is how it will always be? What if I am meant to walk this path alone?

Despite the sadness, I try to find solace in my faith. I remind myself that everything happens for a reason, and maybe this period of loneliness is preparing me for something greater. I hold on to the hope that one day, I will meet someone who will make all this waiting worthwhile. Someone who will love me deeply and truly, someone who will see me for who I am and not judge me for my flaws and mistakes.

If you are reading this in the future, I hope you have found that love. I hope you have discovered the joy of being with someone who cherishes you and supports you. But if not, I hope you have found peace within yourself. Remember that you are strong, and your worth is not defined by whether or not you are in a relationship. You are enough, just as you are.

Take care of yourself, and never lose hope. The future is uncertain, but that doesn't mean it can't be beautiful. Keep believing, keep dreaming, and most importantly, keep loving yourself.

With all my love,
Your 16-Year-Old Self


The author's comments:

A sixteen-year-old reflects on loneliness, hope, and the uncertain journey of finding love.