Living Paradise | Teen Ink

Living Paradise

April 30, 2024
By Anonymous

Salty air, sun-kissed, wavy hair, that’s summer. That is happiness. Everything that has happened in the past 9 stressful months has left my mind and all I worry about now is who i’m going to the beach with and what bathing suit i’m going to wear. It feels like all my troubles have passed and I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else. From the month of August to May I feel like I'm a zombie in my body and I'm terribly miserable. I'm not truly living until that last bell on May 24th. Sitting under the sun and feeling the warmth of it, hearing the waves crashing along the seashore, and the feeling of the gentle breeze creates pure tranquility. I can recall the times with my friends at the beach, and how we have fun under the sun. I can recite all our messages in the sand and savor all the snacks we eat. The finding of the seashells in the sand near the shore at low tide and the collection that I have. Even the rough parts of the beach are beautiful, I can tell you where all the scrapes were on my leg after getting absolutely tumbled by the furious waves. When I get home after hours underneath the sun is the best, looking at the tan line that my swimsuit left me and seeing my messed- up but still kind of cute hair and my sun kissed cheeks is the true highlight. And don’t get me started on eating dinner after. Living in Florida and 15 minutes from the beach is truly a blessing. I guess what I'm trying to say is, summer is everything.


The author's comments:

This piece is about the happiness of summer, and how I thrive during it. As a Floridian I live by beach and I couldn't wish for it any different.