Joys Adventure | Teen Ink

Joys Adventure

By chasepoemdude BRONZE, Wesley Chapel, Florida
chasepoemdude BRONZE, Wesley Chapel, Florida

There once was a dog named Joy, she is a light brown and white greyhound. Then there is my mom, she loves dogs so much, especially Joy. My dad is a chill guy when it comes to dogs, he likes it when the dogs are calm and not so super playful. Then there's my sister, she loves dogs so much and she takes care of them with care. Then me chase, I volunteer at the Humane Society in Tampa and enjoy it so much, so I know a lot about the care of dogs.  
Because Joy is a Greyhound, she is very fragile and has to be a bit more careful with herself than most other dogs. Joy is a very sweet dog that loves almost everyone. If someone comes running at Joy, she will get a bit scared but other than that she is a very sweet dog that loves other people with chill vibes. In our house we have a dog named Larry and Larry has no eyes, diabetes, and a big head tilt. Joy usually has to have some patience around Larry because he usually bumps into her on accident, and she gets a little frustrated about it. 
Joy is a very interesting dog though. Joy cannot go up the stairs, she is very afraid of water, and she is very scared of the vacuum. One day Joy was sleeping on her bed and the Roomba came and she got up thinking she would be fine but then she got cornered into the couch, and that was the very first time Joy had gotten in the couch. Joy has a major fear of going to the vet just like most dogs are. Joy is one of the most calm dogs you will ever meet throughout your life. 

In Joy’s free time she loves to sleep and go on walks. Joy especially likes to eat her treats every night. My dad is the one who usually takes Joy on a walk every day and night. When Joy was young, she would always race other greyhounds in competitions, and she absolutely loved it. Joy is a retired race dog and everyone in my family treats her like she is a queen. My mom loves joy so much and treats her the best out of all of us in the family. 
Joy loved to race other dogs in competitions because there would always be a fake rabbit that they would use to make the dogs run and she absolutely loved it. My Mom usually drinks a cup of coffee and watches T.V. My Dad usually has to work either in his home office or his office at work, but he tries to do fun hobbies with us when he can, but he is the one who has walked Joy the most because she is the star of the house apparently. 
Joy is a big fan of going on very long walks, but the one problem is that we don't like going as far as she does. I always have to take Joy for a walk when I get home from school because either my mom tells me to or Joy is staring at me, which is a sign to go to go on a walk. Whenever Joy is taken on a walk, she usually walks past her best friend and his name is Winston, he is a schnauzer. They always sniff each other out and get excited just as if they were real human beings. The size difference between these two dogs are very different, Joy is a really big greyhound and Winston is a small schnauzer. 
Joy loves to go on Vacations, especially Georgia. Georgia has good walking mountains and Joy loves to walk through those paths. There are some downfalls about going on vacations with Joy because everywhere we stay at has at least one set of stairs and Joy hates stairs so much. She eventually gets over it and we either have to pick her up or give her a boost of confidence. 
Joy is a very spoiled dog, and she usually gets whatever she wants. Joy has some talents that most people don't know about, and that is that she can bark on command, roll over, and many other tricks. There are some things that Joy has been through that not many people know about. Joy has been bitten by a couple of dogs, mainly types of bulldogs and another dog from the vet.  
When Joy was being taken on a walk, there was a garage that was opened, and seconds later there was a bulldog running out of that garage darting towards Joy. When that dog headed towards Joy, we had picked up our small dog Larry but when we tried to pick up Joy, the dog had bit her in the leg and took a part of her skin and some other parts of the body off. Joy had gotten her collar off and started running away until we caught her and took her to the vet. 
Joy has a major fear of going to the vet and one time she was attacked by a dog while we were on vacation. When we were on vacation and got the news that she was attacked by a dog, my mom started to cry because she knew that Joy was already scared of the vet and being bit would scar her from going back. Joy was fine though when she saw us walk through the vet doors to pick her up.  
Joy's life as a young dog was a little rough on her. Joy was a prison trained dog which means she was trained by prisoners. Joy's hobby was to race and during her racing life, she would be trained at a prison. It may sound weird but these prisoners were very nice and had so many positive words towards Joy. We could tell that Joy loved this guy and was going to miss him but she was also happy to start a new and better life. 

This piece is about the young life of my dog Joy and how she went from a little greyhound to a grown greyhound.